Subject: Re: [wsrf] New RMD issue: Simplification of metadataDescriptorLocation type

+1 to the separation of this issue.
+1 to the proposed anyURI datatype

Also, I'd like to suggest that we rename the
wsrmd:MetadataDescriptorLocation  to wsrmd:DefinitionsLocation.

I can see that current name derives from the terminology in section 2 of
the spec:  "MetadataDescriptor Document: An XML instance document whose
root is a Definitions element from the wsrmd: namespace. This document
contains definitions for zero or more MetadataDescriptor components."   The
overloading of 'MetadataDescriptor'  is confusing - is it a document or an
element within the document?

There is an analogy with xsd which would make matters much clearer.  In the
case of xsd,  the schemaLocation on <xsd:import> indicates that the
contents of the <schema> element  from a separate document are being
imported to assist qname references from the importing document. The
targetNamespace attribute on <schema> identifies the imported namespace.
In our case, we need to reference the contents of the namespace populated
by the contents of the <Definitions> element from a separate source, and
the wsrmd:xxxxLocation is a hint about where to find the description of
those contents.  By this analogy, we could call it
wsrmd:DefinitionsLocation.

Ok, it's not a huge improvement, but every little bit helps.

Regards, Tim Banks.

Ian Robinson/UK/IBM@IBMGB wrote on 24/04/2006 14:51:49:

> I would like to separate the following concern out from the discussion on
> issue WSRF174 into a new issue in its own right, independent of the
outcome
> of WSRF174.
>
> This relates back to the final observation in [1] that, since we now
define
> at most one MDD per WS-Resource, we can simplify the type of
> MetadataDescriptorLocation from "list of pairs of URIs" to a single URI
> that provides information on the location of the MDD. The reason there is
> currently a list of pairs or URIs is so that we could (in the past)
> accomodate a number of different MDDs, each of which pertains to a
specific
> namespace (the first URI in the pair). We have moved away from this and
now
> need only a single URI for the location of the single MDD.
>
> In order to have a single, consistent story for locating the MDD, I
propose
> the following additions to the resolution of issue 174:
>
> Change the definition of the wsrmd:MetadataDescriptorLocation from
> "wsrmd:PairsOfURIType" to "xsd:anyURI"
> Specifically, change the schema from this:
>
>     <!-- ======================== Utility Types =======================
-->
>       <xsd:simpleType name="PairsOfURIType">
>         <xsd:list itemType="xsd:anyURI" />
>       </xsd:simpleType>
>
>     <!-- ================  PortType Attribute Extensions
    -->
>       <xsd:attribute name="metadataDescriptorLocation"
>     type="wsrmd:PairsOfURIType" />
>

> to this:
>
>     <!-- ================  PortType Attribute Extensions
    -->