Subject: RE: [wsrf] Proposed resolution to WSRF 174 - references to instances of MDDs

If MetadataDescriptor is the root of the resource properties document,
what is the advantage of restricting a Definitions element to a single
MDD?

I like (b) the best.

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Robinson [mailto:ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 6:52 AM
To: Murray, Bryan P.
Cc: David Snelling; Wilson, Kirk D; Tim Banks; wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [wsrf] Proposed resolution to WSRF 174 - references to
instances of MDDs

Attached is the most recent email to the TC on this topic.

This refers to a number of options for developing the core proposal
advanced in [1].

The attached email thread supports a solution based on the option (b)
enumerated by Tim at the foot of forwarded mail-thread.
In another thread [2] a solution based on Tim's (e) was proposed. This
proposed a change to the RMD schema such that a <Definitions> element
could only have a single <MetadataDescriptor> element.

A primary difference between (b) and (e) is that:
 - in (b) the <MetedataDescriptor> element is the root of the metadata
resource's RPDoc whereas
 - in (e) the <Definitions> element is the root of the metadata
resource's RPDoc and this contains a single resource property which is
the <MetadataDescriptor>

(b) requires the schema of the MetadataDescriptor element to be changed.
In psuedo schema terms, this would be a change from this:
<MetadataDescriptor
      name="xsd:NCName"
      interface="xsd:QName"
      wsdlLocation="pairs of xsd:anyUri"?
      {anyAttribute}* >

  <documentation />?
  <Property /> *
  {any}*
</MetadataDescriptor>

to this:

<MetadataDescriptor>
    <name>xsd:NCName</name>
     <interface>xsd:QName</interface>
      <wsdlLocation>pairs of xsd:anyUri</wsdlLocation>?
     <documentation />?
     <Property /> *
     {any}*
</MetadataDescriptor>

A new variation on (b) - lets call this (f) - could exploit the same
simplifiction as in (e) and restrict a <Definitions> element to
containing a single <MetadataDescriptor>. Unless we have valid use cases
for MDDs with multiple <MetadataDescriptor> elements then I think we
should certainly do this and so chose between this option (f) and (e).
If we do have valid use cases for MDDs with multiple
<MetadataDescriptor> elements then I think (b) is the clear winner.

I suggest we consider the requirement or not of multiple
<MetadataDescriptor> elements as part of this issue (WSRF 174).

I will raise a new issue to track the separate discussion we had in [2]
on the simplification of wsrmd:MetadataDescriptorLocation from
"wsrmd:PairsOfURIType" to "xsd:anyURI". The outcome of that issue should
not affect this issue.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrf/email/archives/200604/
msg00015.html
[2]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrf/email/archives/200604/
msg00036.html

Regards,
Ian Robinson

             "Murray, Bryan

             P."

             <bryan.murray@hp.
             com>                      "Wilson, Kirk D"

                                       <Kirk.Wilson@ca.com>, "David

             12/04/2006 19:19          Snelling"

                                       <David.Snelling@UK.Fujitsu.com>

cc
                                       Tim Banks/UK/IBM@IBMGB,

                                       <wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject
                                       RE: [wsrf] Proposed resolution to

                                       WSRF 174 - references to
instances
                                       of MDDs

Yes, GetRP on 'Property' will return all Property elements. Use QueryRP
if you want a subset and the resource supports the operation.

As I suggested and Dave supports, we can change the definition of the
MetadataDescriptor element so there are no attributes on the root
element. These attributes are changed to elements. Then you can GetRP
the targetNamespace.

Bryan