Subject: History of Rel 49 and Rel 14

I went thru the archives to extract this history. To accept the
resolution to Rel 49 as normative, we need to change our previously
agreed resolution to Rel 14.

The charter http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsrm/charter.php has
the following statement:

Essential elements of web services are SOAP and WSDL. The specification
to be created will provide WSDL definitions for reliable messaging and
the message formats will be specified as SOAP headers and/or body
content. The resulting specification must be programming
language-neutral and platform-neutral.

------
Rel 14 was originally a requirments issue on wsdl annotations:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/5647/wsrm-issues-2004-02-24.html#xREL-14

extensions (e.g., align Service element with WSDL-SOAP binding) [see
original spec]
 From Sunil: WSDL declarations for RM operations: The WSDL extensible
mechanisms (annotations) should be employed to declare/define
(statically) RM operations such as MO, DE, GD either at wsdl:operation
or at wsdl:portType level or at both. When using WSDL 1.2, we could use
the WSDL 1.2 properties and features.
Proposal: Move this as a Spec level issue, and close with agreement that
this will be marked in the spec as an item for further study; (i.e. not
solved in the first version of the spec).
Resolution: WSDL binding will be marked in the spec as an item for
further study (i.e. not solved in the first version of the spec). First
incorporated in 2003-10-23 version of the specification (new "Futures
List" appendix).
----------------

 From the minutes of the May face to face:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/2366/WSRMf2fMin-053003.pdf

2.4.2 Rel 14 regarding wsdl definitions
Tom Rutt suggested that we either make this a requirement or request a
charter
clarification:
Could change, in the charter:
“The specification to be created will provide WSDL definitions for
reliable messaging
and the message formats will be specified as SOAP headers and/or body
content.”
To:
“The specification to be created will provide message formats specified
as SOAP headers
and/or body content.”
Tom Rutt stated that the WSS security people have the same problem. This
is not
specific to WSRM.
Doug Bunting stated that WSDL 1.2 features might be able to do this.
Alan suggested leaving it in charter, not including it as a
requirements, and marking it in
the spec as an item for fur ther study in the specification.
Potential resolution:
Move this as a Spec level issue, and close with agreement that this will
be marked
in the spec as an item for further study, (i.e not solved in the first
version of the
spec.
Sunil suggested to leave it open as a spec Issue for now, and not make
it a requirement.
Agreed to make this a spec issue, and leave open.

-------------------------

 From July 1 minutes:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/2804/Minutes%20WSRM%20TC%20701.htm

3 Approval of Pending Issue Resolutions from Previous meetings

Rel, 7, 9, 25, 30, 42, 48, 5, 6, 3 Requirements issues.

Nobody opposed to moving these to closed status.

Rel 14 - annotating the wsdl with documentation

Mapping and binding issues.

Consensus – too complex to do binding issues at this time.

Do not change the use of wsdl.

Annotation, non normative could be put in appendix.

Intention is if we do not do.

Agreed to Add new spec issue for non-normative annotation for use with
wsdl.

Nobody opposed to making pending resolution to rel 14 final.

--------------------
The following new issue appeared for the first time in the issues list:
for July 1 :
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/2766/wsrm-issues-2003-07-01.html

Rel 49:
*Title:* Non normative WSDL annotations *
appendix to specification.

On July 25 the issue looked as
folows:http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/3049/wsrm-issues-2003-07-29.html

Rel 49
*Title:* Non normative WSDL annotations *
appendix to specification. This will allow sender to discover that a
recipient supports the WS-RM protocol. Goes a bit deeper than just "I
support WS-RM" to cover some granularity such as "I support ordered
delivery". Granularity remains an open question.
Paulo concerned about closing REL-7
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsrm/download.php/3049/xREL-7>.
His concern may be addressed through this issue.

Tom Rutt email: tom@coastin.com; trutt@fsw.fujitsu.com
Tel: +1 732 801 5744 Fax: +1 732 774 5133