Subject: Re: [wsrp] WSRP 2.0 issues: Alignement with JSR 286

Based on Rich's note I think there is a fundamental decision we need to
make in the AJAX field. I don't think we can give out 2.0 and tell
people the only mechanism you have for leveraging AJAX is via
getResource and thus people would start using gR together with XHR and
then in the next rev we say now that we have XPR you should always use
XPR even for the cases where you would have previously used XHR. That
seems wrong to me, especially if we are convinced today that you should
always use XPR.
So for me one important part would be to make clear how we recommend
using gR.

Michael Freedman wrote:
> Other then (1) I don't think any of these items should be included in
> 2.0.  The bar for 2.0 should be to only reopen/fix something if its
> broken in 2.0.  I don't consider 2.0 broken if it doesn't play
> well/cleanly with JSR 286.  That being said I do think we want to play
> well with 286 and maybe should consider a maintanence release of 2.0
> (i.e. 2.1) to update 2.0 with only those features that make 286 support
> clean.  But even in this case I am wary of including (2) -- Ajax support
> as a see this being a rats nest lowering my confidence we will not have
> to tweak it a few times to get it right once clients start using it --
> and hence needs the nimbleness of an Extension.
>
> Some specific comments:
> (2) Ajax support:  you don't give hints on your ideas for a rich man's
> solution but reading between the lines it either adds more extensions
> (to be used with the other calls) or new methods to handle fragments
> specifically.  I don't think we should go there yet.  I am not convinced
> that our extension in pbia can't satisfy all your needs.

One solution would be to only allow action and render URLs as fragment
URLs and that an action fragment URL triggers a pbia, whereas a render
fragment URL triggers a gM with the caveat that you could not change
current nav state. This render fragment URL would replace the gR AJAX
usage that we currently have.

> (3) Support for cookies -- though related to (1) the question is whether
> we need/can add language to the consumer demanding cookie rewritting and
> that cookies are returned to the client.  As we get more client-centric
> implementations using cookies to carry/manage portlet state seems like
> another trick in the bag for those portlets focused on http
> client/consumer transport.

I would not require cookie re-writting, but allow cookie re-writting.

Stefan