Subject: Whitespace in XML documents

Hi,

in many examples in the XACML specifications, there is white-space in
the <AttributeValue> tags, for example:

<AttributeValue DataType="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";>
   John.*
</AttributeValue>
(source: oasis-access_control-xacml-2.0-core-spec-os, line 3413)

On the other hand, the XACML conformance test seems to be very careful,
since in all instances which I looked at, there was no white-space
around the attribute values.

By reading the XML specification, I got the impression that all
white-space shall be preserved, except in attribute values, where some
normalization takes place.

If I'm wrong, can you please point me to the relevant sources so that I
can learn the correct thing? And if I'm not wrong, can you please fix
the examples in the specifications, so that the typical action-id is
"read" and not "\n<some spaces>read\n<some spaces>"?

Roland