Subject: Re: [xacml] The duration data types

All,

I have tried to search the XACML email archives for this issue.

I found the following discussion which mentions restricting the general
XML schema data type to yearMonth and DayTime:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200207/msg00133.html

So it appears it was a conscious decision.

I found the following discussion which mentions that the data types were
introduces to cover the use case of "being 21":

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200305/msg00061.html

Since there seems to be some kind of motivation for the current design,
although it is not entirely clear to me, and since it is easier to add
new functions in some future specification than it is to clean up things
if we end up with needless functions, I would lean towards not
introducing the xs:duration data type in 3.0.

In the worst case it is possible to add a full duration to a datetime by
doing a two step procedure where you add the yearMonth and dayTime parts
separately.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Erik