Subject: Re: [xacml] Making progress?

Hi Erik,

Unfortunately I missed the meeting this morning, however, Hal filled me
in on some details. In particular, Hal mentioned that in the Boeing
presentation that there was indicated a requirement for having
Obligations available at the Rule level, while they are currently
available only at the Policy level. This was also mentioned in today's
minutes, but it is not clear from the minutes or a quick read of the
presentation referred to in the minutes what the exact requirements are:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200812/msg00008.html
In any event, based on the partial information, I will take a stab at a
possible means to address this issue.

One aspect of the discussion on issue 66 is that we agreed there is
essentially an "extra layer" in the PolicySet/Policy/Rule hierarchy,
which can effectively be removed using the uniform extended combining
algorithms we discussed in earlier emails:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200811/msg00040.html

As a result of this uniformity, there is no longer any compelling reason
to have more than one Rule in a Policy. i.e. if you have n Rules in a
Policy and decide you want "1-rule" Policies, then you can simply change
the parent Policy to a PolicySet and replace each Rule with a Policy
containing only that Rule. This will enable one to effectively apply
Obligations at the Rule level since all you need to do is apply the
Obligations to the Policy containing the single Rule.

I am not sure if that addresses the requirements as stated at today's
meeting, but would be interested to know if it does, or if there are
additional requirements that this would not cover.

    Thanks,
    Rich