Subject: Re: [xacml] Obligations in Rules?

Thanks Bill,

Yes, I agree that the term is perhaps not the best. Some things I note:

1. Support for obligations in Rules is relevant even for "genuine"
obligations, so this change is really orthogonal to the meaning of the
term obligation.

So I think we should make the particular change below.

2. I don't think it's a good idea to have two different mechanisms, one
for genuine obligations and one for "informational" obligations. The
reasons are:

 a. The mechanism will be the exact same thing at the low technical
level in the PDP, so it's implementation overhead to have them both.

 b. As I think Hal said on the previous call, if we have two mechanisms,
then it's going to be really hard for us to tell people when to use
which of the two mechanisms because the end result will be the same
regardless which one is used, and there is going to be a huge gray area
between what is a genuine obligation and what is an informational
obligation.

So I am strongly opposed two different mechanisms.

3. The question then is, as you say, should we reconsider the term
"obligation". For me personally I don't mind the name since it's the
semantics which matter. Also, if we change it, people will wonder what
the difference to 2.0 is. It also means a bit more code for
implementations which support both 2.0 and 3.0, but I suppose that this
is no big deal.

And as a side note, I think informational obligations are a special case
of genuine obligations since the interpretation of the obligation is up
to the obligation issuer to define, and he could say that doing nothing
is valid enforcement of the obligation.

So I am opposed to changing the name, but I could reconsider this if
convincing enough arguments are presented. :-)

Best regards,
Erik