Subject: RE: [xacml] RE: Context Handler

I agree partially with both Erik and Ray.

I don't think a new architectural component is required.  "Context handler" is sufficiently underspecified to allow any desired level of semantic entailment.

I don't think semantic entailment should be "just another PIP", although it could probably be implemented that way.

The important point is that there must be some way for the policy author to specify the ontology that governs the world for which he is writing policies.  And, developers of PEPs and PIPs must know about this ontology.

Currently, policy authors and component developers only need to agree on a common attribute vocabulary.  For semantic XACML, they need furthermore to agree on an ontology that defines classes and relationships among them.  This agreement could happen "out of band" (as currently happens with the attribute vocabulary), or it could be specified in a XACML syntax instance (perhaps by naming an ontology in a Policy or PolicySet).

Regards,
--Paul