Subject: Re: [xcbf] Groups - XCBF XML Common Biometric Format CS April 3 2003.zipuploaded

Phil,

I do NOT want this to be confrontational.

Can we please have reasoned discussions on what will be a good Standard?

The issues seem to revolve around BASE64, with perhaps a sub-issue of
which parts use BASIC-XER and which use CXER, and the nature of examples.

We need a consistent document.  But that can only be achieved once we
all agree on what is to be expressed.

Are we abanonding BASE64 or not?  Are we doing a contorted spec with
CONTAINED BY, or a simple spec?  Are we clearly using the formal
notations to specify which bits are CXER and which are BASIC-XER
(assuming that thre *are* any BASIC-XER - as opposed to CXER -
components).  And are the examples an tutorial text in-line with the
normnative text?

These are the main issues to be resolved - not by ballot, but by discussion.

I am sure this is all solvable, but I would really prefer a solution by
*discussion* within the TC to acheive a consensus,  with futher ballots
only occuring after there is such a consensus.

Repeasted balllots that fail are certainly allowed by the procedures,
but are not productive, and bring discredit on the work.

John L

--
PLEASE NOTE - As an anti-SPAM measure, e-mails will shortly
not be accepted by my machine from an unknown sender unless

If you pass my e-mail address to others (which I am very happy
for you to do) please tell them to include this phrase in the
subject line of their first mailing to me.  Thanks.

    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd
    (Training and Protocol Development Services Ltd)
    1 Blueberry Road
    Bowdon                               j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk
    Cheshire WA14 3LS                    (put "Hi John" in subject)
    England
    Tel: +44 161 928 1605		Fax: +44 161 928 8069