xdi message

Subject: Re: [xdi] Agenda: XDI TC Telecon Thursday 1-2PM PT 2008-12-12

As an input for part 2) of the agenda I'd like to describe how this is
currently handled in XDI4j.

Let's say I have this XDI data:

=markus
   +name
      "Markus"
   +friend
      =drummond

Then the address of the literal "Markus" is =markus/+name, i.e. the
literal itself is not part of the address.

If I want to use a $get message for reading the value of that literal,
I would send a message like the following:

=sender
   $get
      /
         =markus
            +name

This would return

=markus
   +name
      "Markus"

And in addition to that, I COULD also include the literal in the $get
message, i.e. I could send the following:

=sender
   $get
      /
         =markus
            +name
               "Markus"

This would yield the same result as the first message, but ONLY if the
value of the literal is indeed "Markus". Otherwise there would be no
result at all. So while the first message gives me the literal value,
no matter what, the second message is a way to "check" for a given
literal value.

Markus