Subject: Re: [xliff-comment] Determining what <note> elements refer to

Hi John,

Thanks for the good wishes, and apologies for being so quiet. I hope everyone is well.

Some context for my comments: I am currently working on a Editor application, that processes the output XLIFF documents produced by our workflow. I am trying to satisfy some user requirements for handling comments. For message files we extract any comments associated with a message and insert them into a <note>. These comments rightfully belong with the source. However, during the course of localization, translators and reviewers can add <note>s to <trans-unit>s, and as they refer mainly to the
translation, they rightfully belong with the target.

I have user requirements to treat these two classes of comments differently, e.g., display source comments when the source is selected, etc. There is talk, in the future, that the <note> elements associated with the <source> be written into the back converted original file format as a comment.

As I mentioned, I can do this by applying some convention to the 'from' attribute. However, a separate attribute seemed a cleaner approach to me, so I thought i would suggest it to see what people thought.

I'll leave discussion of skeleton files till another day. (-:

Regards,

John C.