Subject: RE: [xliff-comment] Current status of XLIFF 2.0

Hello Pål,

> I was met here with enthusiasm for growing XLIFF into a successful
> successor to TMX, and a format that would _finally_ interchange of
> translations between tools.

Glad to see the enthusiasm :)

From my personal experience there are various tools that are managing to work quite well with the current versions of TMX and XLIFF and exchange data seamlessly. But I know it's not the cases for all, and both standards are certainly far from perfect. So I'm also looking forward to a nice and clean 2.0.

It's interesting to see your mention of XLIFF as a successor to TMX. I don't think that is the current requirement for 2.0. I'd be interested in hearing any input on that aspect.

> I was wondering if I could get some comments on current status,
> current issues, as well as where to look for XLIFF 2.0 related
> documents.

The other TC members will correct me as needed, but I think you can see the current status of 2.0 as follow: There is currently two parallel efforts:

--- One to address the inline codes

There is a sub-committee (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xliff-inline) that is working on defining the inline codes. The goal there is to come up with a recommendation for the TC that could be integrated in the rest of 2.0. We are done with the requirements and are now working on the representation.
The wiki pages are here: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/OneContentModel

--- One to address everything else:

Work for the other parts of 2.0 has also started since a while.
You can see some of the work done in the wiki: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0