Subject: RE: [xliff] Working Draft - explicit statement on inheritance

Hi Yves,

I wonder if we are lacking an explicit statement about inheritance
in the XLIFF WD. I am thinking along the lines of the statements
in XML 1.0 related to 'xml:space' and 'xml:lang' (sth. like 'valid
for all subelements as well unless overridden').

Scenario:

I want to set a kind of default for the maximum length of a trans-unit.

Approach:

 <group maxwidth="255">
  <trans-unit id="1" resname="news2" restype="button" maxwidth="50">
   <source xml:lang="DE-DE">Drucktaste</source>
  </trans-unit>
  <!-- ... other <trans-unit> would inherit the maxwidth
  defined for <group> -->
 </group>

Observation:

This approach only works if inheritance really applies.