Subject: RE: [xliff] ETSI membership

Hi All,

As you probably know I have a lot of doubts about this ETSI initiative and there are a lot of issues involved.  I find it very strange that a body which develops a standards for ICT wants to develop standards for translation and localisation. I can only presume that the see this initiative is part of an ETSI strategy to widen their scope of activities so that it includes open standards for the global information society. But I am not impressed with the way this is being done. LISA is saying one thing (“the LISA standards should be open and other standards bodies could develop them” – official announcement by the LISA OSCAR TC to the members) and then something entirely different happens and somebody announces that they are officially ‘taking over’ these standards. I also dislike the way information about this initiative is being disseminated to the ex-LISA members, non-ETSI members and the general public. I find it quite shocking that they are publicly claiming that we (OASIS XLIFF TC as represented by Arle) are one of the founder members when we have not even been asked (ISO TC 37 where I also act as an official representative has also made no liaison decision). While it is up to the OASIS XLIFF TC to decide on any future liaisons, my point is that we have not discussed this, not taken any vote or made any decision on  this, and they appear to be claiming that  we have and the matter is settled. It also needs to be noted that this initiative is not necessarily in the best interests of OASIS. From the formal point of view, I think they should be asked to remove the reference to OASIS XLIFF TC from this diagram and make an equally public  statement to the effect that this was a misrepresentation on their part.

Regarding the Unicode liaison I am totally in favour of this, and am sure there will be shortage of volunteers.

Thanks,

Peter.

From: Helena S Chapman [mailto:hchapman@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:29 PM
To: xliff@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org; Dave Ings

On a different note, I have requested for a liaison membership for OASIS to Unicode and vice versa. I can be the rep on the Unicode side. Who should the OASIS/XLIFF rep be? Perhaps a topic for the next XLIFF meeting if this cannot be done easily by emails? Volunteers? Nominations?

Regarding ETSI, I am a founding member of the LIS. However, I'd like to see another person from XLIFF TC to rep the relationship. I can support the invitation of this rep to participate in LIS work under ETSI. I have just cast my vote to have non ESTI members participate by invitation.

Best regards,

Helena Shih Chapman
Globalization Technologies and Architecture
+1-720-396-6323 or T/L 938-6323
Waltham, Massachusetts