Subject: [xliff] XLIFF TC Call Summary

XLIFF TC Call - Summary
Date: Tuesday, 15 January 2013, 11:00am to 12:00pm EST

=== 1/ Roll call

Present: Bryan, Yves, Asanka, DavidF, DavidW, Fredrik, Kevin, Joachim, Tom, Peter, Uwe, Michael, Victor, Jungwoo, Shirley, Helena

Kevin: I believe I regained my voting rights in the last meeting
DF: ok
F: that's due to an issue with Kavi
DF: yes.

=== 2/ Administration

--- 1. Approve Tuesday, 18 December 2012 meeting minutes:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201212/msg00086.html

Bryan moves to accept the minutes
Fredrik seconds
No objections

--- 2. Setting the stage for 2013
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201301/msg00002.html

B: 2013 should be a good year for us and the community
.. a lot of outreach aspects
.. send a summary email to set the stage and see if we are all on the same page
.. goal is to get 2.0 out to the community
.. make it an OASIS Specification
.. any suggestion on goals, methodology, etc?
.. 2012 was bumpy but productive
.. leaps, casualties, etc.
.. but a finalize set of features is here now
.. procedures are in place
.. owner for each feature
.. inline markup proposal was delivered
.. we had more debate and controversy than other year, but that's ok
.. e.g. bin-unit and extensibility
.. IMO we had good closure on those
.. e.g. forking the bin-unit module into two parts
.. on extensibility: is extensibility the problem or its misuse
.. conclusion was that the misuse was the problem
.. difference between 1.2 and 2.0 are:
.. - processing requirements
.. - conformance clauses
.. should help to enforce proper use of extensibility
.. and claim non-conformance if misuse is found
.. Going forward:
.. we can conclude the last chapter
.. we did our due diligence, opinions were heard and discussed
.. new chapter is about tuning features into specified features
.. procedure in place for editing the specification
.. I can act as an agent to assist anyone needing help
DF: Maybe confusion on what DocBook is.
.. it's a format not a tool
.. an XML application (a format) that can be edited with many editor
B: SVN is our other tool
.. open-source and commercial tools can be used to access our SVN repository
.. same here: I can help in assisting any user
DF: I'm not technical but was able to install and use all that
B: Good point
.. would be useful to have a ballot (straw poll) to validate how
.. good we were into putting the features into specified feature
.. Then we have the Committee Specification Draft
.. need full majority
.. Then first public test is the Committee Specification Public Review Draft
.. we will have a lot of comments from at least one person
.. We can re-publish the CSD as often as needed
.. Then there is a Committee Specification
.. then onto the OASIS Standard
.. we will need a lot of help.
.. It is *Very* difficult to get people to vote for the specification (people do not care)
.. But our membership is broader now
.. I pledge to be impartial and make sure we don't get stalled and that everyone is heard.
.. If anyone thing I need to adjust please contact me.
.. Other hat: voting member committed to comment and work on the specification as needed
.. any question? comments?

Uwe: any estimate on the schedule?
B: gut feelings: seems we are hungry for the specification
.. assuming we have the same energy
.. by end of February: CSD
.. by the end of March we will have our Committee Specification Public Review Draft
.. then it's less easy to guess.
DF: would be really sad if we don't have the ballot during the summer
F: would be surprised by a CSD in end of February
DF: would agree
.. distinction is the amount of approval.
.. every owner need to make good work and promoting the ideas
.. ballot from CSD to Public Draft would be fats,
.. but only in that case
.. Agree with Bryan for a CSD ready by end of February
.. all depends on the owners.
B: We don't think we have a policy in place to handle "foot dragging"
.. if situation ariose we may need to handle that
DF: think this idea is getting more traction
.. calendar-driven may be an option, but we can already act like this
.. we need an OASIS Standard in summer

Joachim: don't think we need hard dealine,
.. we need agreements and agree to work as fast as possible
DF: didn't say to have deadline for Public Draft
.. just that we start one by one
Joachim: devil is in the details
.. let start to work on this
B: in manufacturing there are firm deadlines
.. we can have various level of deadline: core vs modules
.. we need goals
F: suggest no hard dates set today
.. so owners can think about it for next meeting
B: +1
DF: so owner to give calendar date for their part?
B: +1

ACTION ITEM: all owner to provide calendar date(s) for when their feature(s) will be read in the specification

=== 3/ XLIFF 2.0 (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xliff/XLIFF2.0/FeatureTracking )

--- 1. Features proposed/discussed on the mailing list

a. Binary Resource Module (Ryan) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201212/msg00090.html

B: Bin-unit
.. maybe useful to know which case we are discussing on the respective threads
.. (resource case vs file case)
K: Ryan could not make it
.. will be starting to look at it later this week
.. probably more discussions by next call

b. Inline Markup SC passes on its proposal to the TC (Yves) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/201212/msg00031.html

B: what are the next steps?
.. to be rolled in the general discussion
.. we have not yet approved the proposal at the TC level
.. still some aspects to be done.
.. renaming part
.. a couple of issues
DF: we should keep the inline parts together
.. they are part of the core
.. marker extensibility for example is a more general issue
.. it's really one feature in different places
.. Jung issue with re-segmentation is not just for inline it has structural implications
B: probably no need for formal approval as the work was commented in main mailing list too.
.. SC Inline Markup is done
.. time slot is open (second Tuesday of each month)
.. maybe we can have an optional TC call at that day/time
.. so we can have a 'workshop' session
DF: my concern is the conflict with ULI
.. cannot be at the two places
Helena: ULI is once a month (4th Tuesday)
.. less meetings to allow the work to be done
DF: if there is no conflict with ULI we could make them 'non-optional'
B: a bit concern about this
DF: agree with Helena on needing more time for off-line work

ACTION ITEM: all to respond to the email thread Bryan started on the possible extra meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

=== 4/ Sub Committee Reports

--- 2. XLIFF Promotion and Liaison SC Charter (David)

DF: started preparation of 4th symposium.
.. will be part of FIESTGILT in London as pre-conference day for LocWorld
.. possibly XLIFF TC F2F meeting on Monday (Jun-10)
.. track day Jun-11
.. pre-conference day with broader audience on Jun-12 (XLIFF plus others (ITS, possibly ULI, etc.))
.. Call for the program committee is out. 8 PC members so far
.. anyone interested: let me know
.. we would approach specific potential speakers
.. please send suggestions
.. So dates are: June 11 and 12 in London (Novotel), plus a possible F2F June-10
.. will setup the page this week
.. and possibly open call for papers

DF: Not much progress on the ISO standardization issue
.. can't move it anywhere until it's an official OASIS Standard
.. so less urgent now

=== 6/ New Business

- Dave, Michael-A are voting members now

-meeting adjourned