xri message

Subject: RE: [xri] Comments on requirements draft-02 motivations

Ah, sorry, I forgot your "linking vs. addressing" question. Those labels on
the layer chart were left over from the original presentation which was
addressing the primary market need that each layer was trying to solve. I
may remove them altogether from the final draft.

Although linking is a common use of identifiers, it doesn't affect the
identifiers proper. I agree we are just "doing identifiers".

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 12:29 PM
To: Drummond Reed; xri@lists.oasis-open.org

That mostly addresses it -- but I really do need to know specifically the
difference between linking and identifying.

It seems that we are just doing identifiers. Linking seems to be something
more of a statement *about* an identifier (as in XNS contracts, or in XLINK,
or even HTML), rather than merely the string of characters comprising a
link.

        -Gabe