xri message

Subject: Minutes: XRI TC Telecon 10-11AM PT Thursday 2008-02-14

Following are the minutes of the unofficial telecon of the XRI TC at:

Date:  Thursday, 14 February 2008 USA
Time:  10:00AM - 11:00PM Pacific Time

Event Description:
Weekly unofficial telecon of the XRI Technical Committee.

ATTENDING

Gabe Wachob
Wil Tan
Markus Sabadello
Drummond Reed
Les Chasen
Marty Schleiff

AGENDA

1) REVIEW PLANNED REVISIONS FOR XRI RESOLUTION 2.0 COMMITTEE DRAFT 03

Per the action item assigned last week, Drummond posted a list of the
planned revisions:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriTwo/ResolutionCd03

We reviewed these to make sure there is consensus on all changes before
producing a draft.

* We added one sentence to the xrd:XRD/xrd:Type element definition.

# DRUMMOND to confirm with Mary McRae how we need to record our handling of
comments.

# DRUMMOND to incorporate all these and post CD03 Working Draft 01 on
Monday.

2) W3C COMMENT DISCUSSION

We discussed answers to the three questions posed in the W3C comment on
XRI Resolution 2.0 Committee Draft 02:

	http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xri/200802/msg00006.html

* Gabe explained that from the perspective of W3C architecture, XRIs can be
treated as just "fancy HTTP URLs". Gabe noted that W3C documents advocate
using HTTP redirects for many purposes, and XRI resolution architecture fits
within that purview.

* We need to explain the how lookahead processing and redirects/refs also
fit into this paradigm.

* Wil provided a number of excellent examples.

* On the W3C's third question, the issue is that relative XRIs begin with a
GCS symbol, which is also a valid relative URI character.

* Wil suggests that for the "world in which we co-exist with URIs, XRIs will
be cast into URI/IRI normal form, and will start with xri:". In applications
that natively deal with XRIs, that requirement is not necessary.

* Wil also pointed out that this issue is the same as URIs currently have
with strings like "www.example.com", which strictly speaking is a relative
URI, but which text editors everywhere (including the one used to take these
notes) treat as an absolute URI.

# DRUMMOND to write up this feedback.

# GABE to coordinate production of the final response.

# ALL INTERESTED TC MEMBERS should subscribe to www-tag@w3.org to join the
discussion there once our response is posted.

3) XRI 3.0 PLANNING

Marty has posted an alternate proposal for XRI 3.0 syntax:

	http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriThree/CompactSyntaxProposal

Marty explained that he thought it was important to have this proposal
present so that it is clear that there is not yet consensus on the TC as to
the direction of XRI Syntax 3.0.

4) OASIS SYMPOSIUM AND F2F PLANNING

When Marty and Drummond got together in person earlier this week, they
discussed having a F2F to kick off XRI 3.0 work. Unfortunately the OASIS
Symposium this year (April 28-30 in Santa Clara) is not a good option for a
F2F as they did not arrange for TC meeting rooms. So we need to explore
other options.

Les said that NeuStar would be willing to host such a meeting. Drummond
pointed out that we may want to coordinate it with an adjacent XDI TC F2F
since there are topics we need to discuss together.

# LES to check into potential dates that would work for NeuStar.