xri message

Subject: Re: [xri] RE: Delegation (was: trusted discovery workflow)

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> The <XRD:Ref> element voids anything else within the XRD and basically points to another entity to provide the full resource descriptor. An open question for me is what is <Ref> pointing to? Another resource or another XRD?
>
> The <XRD:Service> element is in many cases (such as OpenID) a service-specific delegation of some control.

Agreed, this is an important distinction.  Here are some use cases to consider:

- A user points to their portable contacts endpoint.  Ideally this
would be signed with a key belonging to the user, but key distribution
is really difficult.  We'll probably have to settle for this being
signed with a key belonging to the user's domain.

- A domain points to the portable contacts endpoint for all of their
users.  I'd look for this to be signed with a key belonging to the
domain.

- A user points to their OpenID provider.

- A domain points to the OpenID provider for all of their users.

Hrm.  I'm not seeing anything in there that suggests a "Ref", those
all seem like "Service" to me.