xri message

Subject: Link child-elements vs. attributes

Based on feedback received from DeWitt Clinton, Blaine Cook, James Manger, as well as others on the WebFinger list, there seems to be strong desire to see XRD adopts a Link element syntax based on the ATOM schema (while similar to HTML, ATOM have closer restrictions as XRD when it comes to multiple rel values on a single link).

Even if we end up adding a <Property> child element under Link, I think it still makes sense to move the common elements into attributes.

This would mean:

href for URI
rel for Rel
type for MediaType
template for URITemplate

While this will not be expressed in the XSD, the prose will limit each link to only one of href/template attributes. I think I can sum up the feedback I got on separate elements for <Link> and <Link-Template> as "yack!".

I am not sure what to do about Title given the need for multiple languages, or at least to declare the language the title is in. I am not sure how ATOM does it.

EHL