Subject: RE: Testing Harness Proposal

I thought the committee needed a testing harness to be sure the tests we
were publishing were valid?  That was my only purpose for the information.
We don't have current plans to do conformance testing certification or
anything like that.  If the committee does not need the harness that's fine
too.
Lynda

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org
[mailto:owner-xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org]On Behalf Of G. Ken
Holman
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 5:37 PM
To: xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org

At 00/06/02 15:11 -0700, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
>Please accept my humblest apologies if this has already been discussed

It was only discussed in the brief meeting in San Jose where I shared my
feelings about the work we did with XML conformance.

>and it's a moot point (although it couldn't be moot since there can't have
>been a vote...),

Right ... we haven't yet voted on the scope, but in my proposed
deliverables I specifically left out a testing harness.  I believe our
objective is solely to assemble, produce and publish the tests and the
report ... nothing else.

I anticipate organizations like Carmelo's and Lynda's to validate our
efforts by successfully using what we produce ... but at an arm's
length.  It is very important to the committee that f they can successfully
use what we've created, then we will have succeeded at our task.  I think
with the new rules coming we may need a *third* organization to put our
report into production use in order to claim acceptance ... but we'll
address that when the time comes.

I do not see testing or certification or judgements to be at all in scope
for our work.

>but it was my impression that testing harness is just outside
>of the scope of this TC --

This is my firm belief as well.

>all this without in any way impinging on the
>value of IQTest.

I agree!  The technology looks very interesting.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/