Subject: Re: Minutes of 2000-06-05 XSLT/XPath Conformance Committee

At 00/06/09 17:45 -0400, atman wrote:
>Interpreting this as a motion, I second it for inclusion as an agenda
>item, in the form of a motion to be voted, at the Phone meeting, under
>approval of minutes.

My understanding is that we can't entertain motions via email because we
aren't in a meeting.

Our objectives in email are to line up all the contributions,
recommendations and motions that *will* be made at the next meeting, so
that the actual business of the meeting is effectively rubber stamping
through process the decisions we effectively make over email.

All mail list contributions requiring action at the next meeting will be
walked through during the meeting and acted on; to prepare for the meeting
the proposed agenda I post will include a reference to all documents to be
acted on (and members identifying missing documents to be addressed should
speak up after the draft agenda is published).

To prevent *all* mail list postings from being added to the agenda, perhaps
we should deliberate using email and at some point whoever is directing the
particular deliberation ask that a particular document be added to the
agenda to the next meeting for action.  And, just as JR has done here, the
addition to the agenda should be vocally supported (thus preventing
frivolous (not that I'd expect that, though) or multiple documents to be
added to the meeting).

We will hone our productivity using the email list (a concern of mine is
that we won't be productive) ... I think what has happened is just
right:  David brought up a change to the minutes and JR supported that
David's document is mature enough to be discussed at the meeting.

Not many meeting documents will be ready instantly from their first
posting.  Most will trigger discussion and deliberation to the point at
which we end up with the mature document that is brought to the
meeting.  When someone thinks the document is ready, they can propose it be
added and as just happened we can wait for someone to support the addition
to the agenda (though, technically, it isn't a motion and a seconding).  I
think anyone can state they don't think a document is ready for
consideration at a meeting.

I had already added David's document to the agenda I'm preparing, but next
time I will wait for a posting like JR's that supports the adding of a mail
list post to the agenda.

Let me know if you support this concept.  Any suggestions for procedure and
policy will be warmly entertained.

Thanks folks!

p.s. sorry if I seem out of sync with the messages, but I don't have great
connectivity here in Paris

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/