Subject: Re: [xslt-conformance] Spreading the Work

At 01/10/24 16:18 -0600, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>Some background and a question...

Thank you, Lofton, for your evangelizing!

>In the latter category is UAAG.  In both cases, I consider our genericized
>XSLT processes and framework to be one of a very few good approaches --
>comprehensive, end-to-end, and reasonably automatable -- that can be
>looked at and even picked up (in parts or in whole) by others.

Wonderful ... we went through the specific process of "genericizing" our
framework specifically for the purpose of the leveraging our efforts by
others.  I would hope that the spirit of our organization "Advancing
Structured Information Systems" would allow the model that we have
developed by exploited by anyone and everyone.

Of course as part of the goal of the long-term "advancing", the reference
to OASIS would need to be preserved as the model we have developed gets
used elsewhere.  It would be unfortunate to lose the link to the origin
where these ideas were developed.  I hope that those wanting to use our
model recognize the usefulness of preserving the links to OASIS so that
people will find future accomplishments related to these areas.

It has been a *long* but fruitful development process within our committee
and we are anticipating an imminent release of our accomplishments to date
for public review.

>The question was asked, "can we borrow from the XSLT work?"  My opinion
>was, "not a problem".  This seems implied by section 2.1 on our home page
>(which btw has a dead link on "completed products").

(thanks ... Carmelo, could you please tidy that up with some verbiage about
something coming soon?)

>But I said that I'd verify that the XSLT TC has no problems with it.  I
>have indicated that a first "pilot" public release is pending (I hope this
>was also okay), aimed at progressing toward the assembly of the XSLT suite.

Yes, and this pending release includes the documentation of how we
configured the generic processes to be XSLT-specific, hopefully to draw
comments on the generic framework in addition to the specific XSLT suite
itself.

>Btw, one thing that is particularly appealing to UAAG is our handling of
>discretion.  UAAG 1.0 (CR draft) has a conformance space where optionality
>or discretion is pervasive, for how UAs may meet
>checkpoints/guidelines.  Therefore, they were pretty keen on the concept
>of per-UA customizable suites, to match the particular accessability
>solutions chosen by the individual UAs.

Great!  David and Tony did some excellent work in this area, and I hope
that others find it useful.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/