acxo message

Subject: Re: FYI - Regrep Reference Implementation - Questions/Issues

> | Need Sample Data
>
> Yes.  Can our managing editor arrange for this?

Can we use data from the XML Catalog
<http://www.xml.org/xmlorg_registry/index.shtml>?  I think those listings
most closely match the elements which would be submitted to the RegRep.

-craig

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:27:14 -0800 Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> writes:
> Laura wrote:
> | These are the notes I took when Una was reviewing her slides ....
>
> Thanks for this, Laura.
>
> | Policy Questions/Issues
>
> I agree these are indeed mostly policy considerations.  My
>
> | What can people submit?
> |  - XDR?
>
> Anything relevant to the purpose of OASIS?  I don't see how we
> can exclude any application of SGML (and I see XML and its
> various schema flavors as applications of SGML).
>
> | Shall submissions be uniform and if yes, what should they include?
>
> I don't think we'll get much response if we demand uniformity.
>
> |  - schema
> |  - sample instance
> |  - supporting documents
>
> Just a bare DTD would be acceptable to me, although of course
> it needs its accompanying metadata.  We might want to require a
> short description.  Remember, one of our goals is supporting SGML
> on the Web (download of DTD for parsing an instance).
>
> | Is every submission reviewed before being accessible on the
> repository?
> |  - Assumption is yes
>
> Agreed.  However, in the EBXML work, there is a requirement that
> trusted users be allowed to deposit without review, or with review
> only by software check that the deposited item matches "the
> metamodel".  I think we might permit at least some users to be
> trusted.
>
> | Are updates allowed?
>
> They must be.  But I think this question is about the distinctions
> between "update" and "version" and "new submission".  We need some
> use cases here to organize our discussion.
>
> | One submitter per organization?
>
> See my message of Saturday.
>
> | What should be available for System Download?
> | (what is diff between download and system download)
>
> Yes, I don't understand the distinction.  Every registered item
> must be downloadable, and the metadata (registry information)
> about it (perhaps with certain contact info deleted) must also
> be downloadable.
>
> | Site & Maintenance Issues
> |
> | XML.ORG Site look & feel
> | Admin and SME - Staff
> | Min Browser Support
> | Testing Support - Q&A
> | Prototype and Timeline
> | Licenses (Oracle)
> | XML Interfaces
>
> means what?
>
> | Regrep conformance
>
> The conformance language is still to be written (or collected; some
> of it is sprinkled throughout the tech spec).  NIST will help on
> this.  I've proposed that we not try for consistency in method of
> submission; if we agree on that there would be no conformance
> requirement for submission.  We *must* conform to RFC 2483 as
> unofficially revised, so as to present a uniform method of access.
>
> | Need Sample Data
>
> Yes.  Can our managing editor arrange for this?
>
> regards, Terry

Craig Chevrier
Managing Editor, www.XML.org
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(978)667-5115 (x203)
craig.chevrier@oasis-open.org