amqp-comment message

Subject: Re: [amqp-comment] amqp over http draft

On 24/05/2019 12:47 pm, Clemens Vasters wrote:
When I have a multiplexing endpoint that accepts regular messages for one-way flows and that also responds to HTTP requests, I know that I have an HTTP request only when the HTTP request tells me that it is one.

Why do you need to know it is an HTTP request? You know it is a GET or a POST, PUT, DELETE or whatever from the subject. You know the target. You have all the headers. What would you do differently based on having an indication of it being HTTP?

You appear to be advocating for my application having to use all sorts of hints to infer for a message to be an HTTP request, and the design in place makes a clear statement about it.

I'm advocating against munging it in with the method or status. AMQP already has one of the most complex type systems around, and a rich message format that uses it.

In the use case where an AMQP client makes a request it isn't originating in HTTP . It might be ultimately handled by an HTTP service or it might be handled by an AMQP service. The seamntics of the request are clear and complete regardless.

If the core of your objection is about simplicity, I don't see how omitting a clear indicator is helping simplicity or how moving that indicator into a property that's aimed at the middleware layer will help simplicity.

I don't care about the indicator. I don't see any value in it. If you have uses cases that need it, I would rather it is kept out of the subject so that all the other cases that don't need it don't have to pay the price for it anyway.