announce message

Subject: Oasis Member News-The Gale Group Automates Complex Publishing Processwith XML Professional Publisher

XyEnterprise Press Release

Contact:
Steve Traugott
Demaree Public Relations
603.428.4411
straugott@demaree-pr.com

The Gale Group Automates Complex Publishing Process with XML Professional
Publisher

SGML/XML publishing system speeds book production by automating complex
composition and publishing tasks

READING, MA - November 6, 2000 - Xyvision Enterprise Solutions, Inc.
(XyEnterprise), a leading developer of XML content management and publishing
software, announced today that the Gale Group has completed its implementation of
XML Professional Publisher (XPP), formerly known as XyEnterprise Production
Publisher, and is currently using the system for composition and high-speed
publishing of its highly-respected reference materials. The implementation
was completed in a rapid two-month time frame and utilizes XPP for automated
publishing of Gale's wide variety of SGML-based publications. XPP is a
sophisticated composition system that offers high-speed, automated throughput
of SGML and XML data into formatted Postscript and PDF pages.

"XPP is simply the most suitable SGML/XML-based high-speed composition
and publishing system on the market to meet Gale Group's needs as technical
publisher with large scale publishing tasks," said Marybeth Trimper, electronic
pre-press manager at The Gale Group. "Once you build the templates for
your various publications using style sheets, XPP uses those styles to
process the SGML or XML tagged data from the repository into composed
pages in PDF or Postscript formats. In our application, XPP automatically
formats the text, headings, tables, and graphics. In fact, the XPP system
can process any type of data we put through it accurately and completely."

Kevin Duffy, President and CEO of XyEnterprise said, "We are proud that
the Gale Group, has joined other companies within Thomson Corporation
including The West Group and Petersons as XyEnterprise customers. The
fact that a discerning technical publisher such as the Gale Group chose
XPP as their SGML/XML electronic composition and publishing solution speaks
volumes about the comprehensive functionality offered by our software.
At XyEnterprise, we continue to focus our efforts on the development and
delivery of innovative solutions that enable companies to achieve breakthrough
efficiencies in content management, high-speed assembly and delivery of
XML and SGML data, and delivery of PDF and other electronic formats."

In 1999, the Gale Group defined the need to find a high-speed electronic
composition system that would enable them to automatically compose and
publish data from a repository in an SGML/XML tagged environment. After
looking at several options, the Gale Group decided to run pilot programs
with XPP and another well-known electronic composition program.

Trimper said, "The first system we tested was adequate for very simple
page designs, but it just could not handle complex page designs or high
volume production. For example, this system couldn't handle placement
of photos very well and even after composition there were still some
typographical problems. When we tried the same file on XyEnterprise's
XPP, it was completed correctly, with very high typographical quality and the job
required much less time and effort. By using XPP, we've saved a phenomenal
amount of time in both set-up and processing, especially because the users
do not need to be computer programmers to operate the system."

After conducting these pilot tests, the Gale Group went into live production
with XPP on the Sun Solaris operating environment. XyEnterprise also offers
XPP on Windows NT and IBM AIX platforms.

About Gale Group

The Gale Group (www.galegroup.com) is a world leader in e-information
and print reference solutions for libraries, schools and businesses. Best
known for its accurate and authoritative reference content as well as
its intelligent organization of full-text magazine and newspaper articles,
the company creates and maintains more than 600 databases that are published
in print, microfilm and electronic form. The Gale Group includes such
noted reference imprints as Macmillan Reference USA, Charles Scribner's
Sons, Primary Source Microfilm, UXL, Thorndike Press and Graham & Whiteside.

About XyEnterprise

With headquarters in Reading, Mass., Xyvision Enterprise Solutions, Inc.
(XyEnterprise), provides organizations of all sizes with content and document
management solutions that streamline the information creation and delivery
process. XyEnterprise combines its own XML content management, workflow
and publishing software with integration services to build enterprise
wide solutions for the collaborative creation, management, assembly, and
multi-channel distribution of information. Its customer base includes
industry-leading companies in the aerospace, automotive, telecommunications,
standards and publishing markets. These customers include Boeing, IBM,
Gulfstream, Telcordia, Sun Microsystems, Lucent, ASTM, and many others.
For more information, please contact XyEnterprise at 781.756.4400 or
www.xyenterprise.com.

Xyvision, XyEnterprise, XPP, Content@ and Content@XML are trademarks or
registered trademarks of Xyvision Enterprise Solutions. All other product
and company names mentioned herein are trademarked of their respective
holders.