announce message

Subject: OASIS Guides Development of Global Electronic Procurement Standardization

OASIS Guides Development of Global Electronic Procurement
Standardization

Boston, MA, USA; 28 April 2003 -- The OASIS interoperability consortium
today announced that it is providing a forum for government agencies,
organizations and companies to guide the coordinated development of
global e-procurement standards. The OASIS Electronic Procurement
Standardization (EPS) Technical Committee will work to analyze
requirements for electronic procurement processes, identify gaps, and
recommend new standards as needed.

"Our first priority will be to develop a comprehensive framework for
electronic procurement standards, relating existing specifications to
those in development. It is vital that we reach consensus on how these
standards fit together," noted Terri Tracey of the Institute for Supply
Management, chair of the OASIS EPS Technical Committee. "Once we
establish our framework and priorities, we will create technical
committees within OASIS to advance the necessary standards and
implementation processes."

To facilitate the adoption of its work, the OASIS EPS Technical
Committee has secured broad global representation from the entire supply
chain. Participants include the Institute for Supply Management,
Information Society Standardization System of the European Standards
Committee (CEN/ISSS), US National Institute for Governmental Purchasing
(NIGP), US National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO),
RosettaNet, SeeBeyond, and others.

"Input from government and industry on the direction of the OASIS EPS
activity is essential to ensure credible, effective, and neutral
specifications," said Patrick Gannon, OASIS president and CEO. "OASIS is
pleased to provide a common ground where e-procurement stakeholders of
every type can collaborate amongst themselves and with related efforts,
such as the OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL) and the OASIS
e-Government Technical Committees."

"CEN/ISSS will participate to ensure the maximum synergies between the
emerging global consensus and regional requirements in Europe," said
John Ketchell, CEN/ISSS director. "CEN/ISSS plans to start an
e-procurement project to complement European legislative initiatives to
develop and harmonize public e-procurement across EU member states by
analyzing standards requirements. Our results will be contributed to the
OASIS EPS Technical Committee."

About OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org)

OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
Standards) is a not-for-profit, global consortium that drives the
development, convergence, and adoption of e-business standards. Members
themselves set the OASIS technical agenda, using a lightweight, open
process expressly designed to promote industry consensus and unite
disparate efforts. OASIS produces worldwide standards for Web services,
security, XML conformance, business transactions, electronic publishing,
topic maps and interoperability within and between marketplaces. Founded
in 1993, OASIS has more than 2,000 participants representing over 600
organizations and individual members in 100 countries.

Additional information:

OASIS EPS Technical Committee
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=eps

Cover Pages Technology Report: Electronic Procurement Standardization
http://xml.coverpages.org/eps.html

Press contact:

Carol Geyer
OASIS Director of Communications