Subject: RE: [asap] fyi and discussion

Title: RE: [asap] fyi and discussion

The original idea was that a "resource" had an address.  That resource could play as an observer if it implements the operations of an observer.  There is no reason that it can not implement other operations, and be for example a factory.  In WSDL parlance this maps to "porttype" and I can't see why a single resource can not implement multiple port types.

An early version of this even had each resource returing a list of the resource types that it implements.

As for properties, it means that you get a union of all the properties from the various resource types.  The only issue is that a property for one resource type must mean the same thing if the same property exists on another resource type.  We have so far managed to do this.  This is facilitated by a single set of property definitions, and then having the resource types specify which of those properties they employ.  I means that if you think something is an observer, you may find that you get extra properties beyond those that are defined for an observer.

I would like to know what difficulties you have had in running things this way.

Keith D Swenson, kswenson@us.fujitsu.com
Fujitsu Software Corporation
1250 E. Arques Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
(408) 746-6276   mobile: (408) 859-1005

-----Original Message-----
From: John Fuller [mailto:jfuller@wernervas.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 12:28 PM
To: ASAP
Subject: [asap] fyi and discussion

I've moved the schema file and wsdl-in-progress out to
        http://easyasap.sourceforge.net/

to give them a home people can get to in the short run
(ex: to validate wsdl that imports the schema, etc)

I'm open to suggestions about how to setup the directory structure,
(ex: versioning, etc) and certainly open to help with the documents
themselves.

***

As we discussed earlier, Observer, Factory, Instance (and Activity) are
different roles that could be used by the same service/application.
Unless we assume each role has its own URI, a web service would need a
structure that contains 0-1 of each the resource property groups rather
than a choice between them as we currently represent.

Right now, I think we should assume that each role for a service has
its own URI
so that when an observer tries to set or request properties we return
just the set that
belong to that URI.  In the specification each role is treated as a
different resource, anyway so this makes sense, implementers just need
to remember that they implicitly need to provide their own mappings.