Subject: qualified v/s unqualified elements

All,

I think this is the number one problem to solve right now: qualified v/s unqualified elements.

Jeff, the behaviour you mention below is specified by XML Schema.

.NET is just faithfully following the XML Schema specification.

Please refer to XML Schema Primer; Section 3: Namespaces, Schemas & Qualification

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-0-20010502/#NS

We need to make sure that other implementers don't run into the same problem.

I believe the answer is that we should use our asap.xsd to MANDATE that ASAP elements be qualified.

And that ASAP messages must conform to asap.xsd

Then we can be sure that all VALID Asap messages will have qualified ASAP elements.

Next question is the qualified/unqualified-ness of context/result data elements.

One alternative is to let the context/result data schemas provided by the various implementers specify whether the context/result data elements should be qualified or not.

Second alternative is that the ASAP spec RECOMMEND that the context/result data schemas provided by the various implementers specify that the context/result data elements should be qualified.

I prefer the first alternative, because it allows implementers flexibility about how their context/result data should exactly look like. Downside is that ASAP implementers need to be careful to respect the qualified-ness specified by the context/result data schemas.

I don't know yet how exactly to go about doing all this. I am still researching it. Comments/suggestions/pointers are welcome. A solution is most welcome. J

BTW, John Fuller told me that he has changed his code to have everything qualified, and that he will deploy that code outside the firewall on Monday.

Let us put our heads together and try to resolve this before the next conf call.

Thanks,

Sameer