Subject: Groups - Action Item Modified: #0007 Representation of State in Schema Issue

OASIS Asynchronous Service Access Protocol TC member,

Keith Swenson (kswenson@us.fujitsu.com) has modified this action item.

Number: #0007
Owner: None ()
Due: 30 Jun 2004

Comments:
Keith Swenson  2004-04-27 18:54 GMT
Currently the XSD for states include a list of the 7 string values that are allowed.  Unfortunately, there is no way to extend this list of states using XML Schema in the way that the specification says that states can be extended.  By defining states in this way, an implementation that does schema validation will consider an extended state as an invalid XML structure, contrary to the intent of extensible states.  Should these simply be represented as strings?  Should we use "pattern matching" capabilities to restrict what values can be used.

Keith Swenson  2004-07-06 18:46 GMT
The current XSD file represents state as a string.  This has generally been found to be suitable.  There had been at one time discussion of using pattern matching as a means to restrict the set, but there has not bee discussion of this recently.  On the assumption that strings as the representation of state is sufficient, I am closing this issue.  If anyone disagrees, please send an email and I can reopen the issue.

View Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/asap/members/action_item.php?action_item_id=543