Subject: Action Item 10 - comments on WS-HT section 7/8

At the last F2F, I mentioned that I found section 7 of the WS-HT spec hard to understand. I spent a bit of time since then trying to crystallize that feeling into actual constructive feedback. I came up with five high-level comments for sections 7 and 8:

  1. It seems hard to understand section 7 without a deep understanding of WS-Coordination. Do we assume that readers of the spec have to fully understand WS-Coordination before reading WS-HT?
  2. Where is the spec for the requestMessage and responseMessage of the coordination prototcol? Are the details supposed to be vendor specific?
  3. At the top of section seven, it mentions “A simplified protocol applies to notifications”, but I don’t see where that is fleshed out.
  4. Sections 7 and 8 don’t use the conformance targets, which makes them hard to read, e.g. using the term “Caller” instead of “Task Parent”
  5. I like the diagram at the top of the section that outlines the messaging lifecycle. It would be nice if the text in that section walked through the same lifecycle.

Thanks,

Alex Malek

Microsoft Corp.