Subject: Re: [bpel4people] Action Item 10 - comments on WS-HT section 7/8

Hi Alex, thanks for looking into this -- please see a couple of comments
inlined below (<dk>), explaining how we got here -- as always, suggestions
for improvements are welcome -- this should become a new issue, giving the
whole TC a place to contribute to a proposal.

Kind Regards

Dieter König

Senior Technical Staff Member, WebSphere Process Server Architect
IBM Software Group, Application and Integration Middleware Software
WSS Business Process Solutions

 Phone:            +49-7031-16-3426           IBM Deutschland                      (Embedded
                                                                                 image moved
                                                                                    to file:
                                                                               pic23926.gif)

 E-Mail:           dieterkoenig@de.ibm.com    Schönaicher Str. 220

                                              71032 Böblingen

                                              Germany

 IBM Deutschland
 Research &
 Development
 GmbH /
 Vorsitzender des
 Aufsichtsrats:
 Martin Jetter
 Geschäftsführung:
 Erich Baier
 Sitz der
 Gesellschaft:
 Böblingen /
 Registergericht:
 Amtsgericht
 Stuttgart, HRB
 243294

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Alex Malek <alexma@exchange.microsoft.com>                                                                                                        |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"bpel4people@lists.oasis-open.org" <bpel4people@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                             |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |27.11.2008 01:51                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[bpel4people] Action Item 10  - comments on WS-HT section 7/8                                                                                     |

At the last F2F, I mentioned that I found section 7 of the WS-HT spec hard
to understand. I spent a bit of time since then trying to crystallize that
feeling into actual constructive feedback. I came up with five high-level
comments for sections 7 and 8:
   1. It seems hard to understand section 7 without a deep understanding of
      WS-Coordination. Do we assume that readers of the spec have to fully
      understand WS-Coordination before reading WS-HT?
   <dk>Yes -- well, at least implementers must understand it :-) --
      WS-Coordination is a normative reference, see [WS-C]
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-tx/wstx-wscoor-1.1-spec/wstx-wscoor-1.1-spec.html
       </dk>
   2. Where is the spec for the requestMessage and responseMessage of the
      coordination prototcol? Are the details supposed to be vendor
      specific?
   <dk>The WS-HT-specific messages are defined in
      "ws-humantask-protocol.wsdl" (the current version is attached below,
      in the Editing team's SVN repository, it is in folder "Specification
      \BPEL4People\Specifications\xml"). The rest is defined by
      WS-Coordination itself (Register, RegisterResponse, etc.) -- see the
      link above.</dk>
   3. At the top of section seven, it mentions “A simplified protocol
      applies to notifications”, but I don’t see where that is fleshed out.
   <dk>Indeed, well hidden :-) -- the coordination protocol for
      notifications is a small subset -- actually, there are three places
      that talk about specific restrictions for notifications: the last
      paragraph of section 7 (right before 7.1), section 7.4, and the last
      paragraph of section 7.5.</dk>
   4. Sections 7 and 8 don’t use the conformance targets, which makes them
      hard to read, e.g. using the term “Caller” instead of “Task Parent”
   <dk>This will change soon -- a resolution proposal for issue BP-16 is
      currently being prepared by the Editing team -- this issue is about
      applying normative RFC 2119 language to the whole spec.</dk>
   5. I like the diagram at the top of the section that outlines the
      messaging lifecycle. It would be nice if the text in that section
      walked through the same lifecycle.
   <dk>IMO, the text under "Scenario 1" does this - you see references to
      the steps (1) to (4a)/(4b) there.</dk>

Thanks,,
Alex Malek
Microsoft Corp.

 (See attached file: ws-humantask-protocol.wsdl)

pic23926.gif

ws-humantask-protocol.wsdl