Subject: [business-transaction] RE: Marketing and publicity

Title: RE: Marketing and publicity

I hope this is not a non sequitur to the current discussions, but as someone who came into the committee after the initial development, I needed to catch up with what the protocol is about.  Thus, I put together a diagram to help me understand how applications, BPM management systems, and the BTP Messages interact.  Some of the conversations during the conference calls included the issue of how to communicate the protocol to others.  So, I am attaching a diagram of a simple atomic transaction with a successful outcome.  I also have a couple variations with non-successful outcomes that look the same, but a couple of the messages are different.  I invite any feedback as to accuracy of the diagram in depicting a BTP transaction or any other comments or questions.

<<BTP Sample Models.gif>>

A word about the diagram:

* The diagram is made up of basic flowchart depictions of BPM management systems with a BTP Manager as an interface.
* The Ovals represent Activities being managed by a BPM Engine.
* Solid arrowed lines represent the control flow of the BPM Engine; dashed arrowed lines represent the flow of messages between Engines and BTP Managers.

* The open-sided boxes represent the application and BTP messages being sent (the BTP messages have a bolded line to highlight them)

* Time flows from left to right, thus the messages appear from left to right in the order that they are produced.  Also the Message order is printed to the right of the diagram.

* The solid double lines are dividers between independent contexts and only messages can be sent between the contexts (no BPM flow of control)

Thanks.

-Steve

Stephen A. White, Ph.D.
Director