cam message

Subject: RE: Center for Document Engineering Established at UC Berkeley

Bob,

Good to hear from you and the news on your latest work.

At first inspection I think there is a great potential fit between BABL and
the OASIS CAM work, to be able to specify the model behaviour of
the BABL interchanges using CAM templates.

We've designed CAM templates to be approachable without needing
specialized tools and technology - just knowing XML and using an
editor should suffice - so I suspect this is ideal for a University
environment with eager minds and small budgets, and the need to
share the tools across the country.

We also have one member already implement a CAM processor and
validate the specification - so again - we know that implementing a
CAM processor is both doable - and the sort of thing that a computer
science major student should be able to tackle easily with a
reasonable level of effort.

I've CC:d the CAM TC in case members have further thoughts - but
my sense is that your CDE is just the sort of work we would like to
contribute to.

Students can access the CAM work via our SWIKI developer
resource site:

 http://cam.swiki.net

and we'd be happy to hear your thoughts on the potential here.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by Bob Glushko
>CENTER FOR DOCUMENT ENGINEERING ESTABLISHED AT UC BERKELEY

Focal point for initiatives in XML and model-based approaches for
automatable, standards- based business computing

Berkeley, CA  September 15, 2003.  UC Berkeley's School of Information
Management and Systems (SIMS) and the e-Berkeley Program have established
the Center for Document Engineering (CDE). The CDE's mission is "to invent,

evaluate, and promote model-driven technologies and methods" that allow
business semantics to drive IT systems.

The CDE's origins date to Spring 2002 when SIMS became the first academic
institution in the world to teach courses on Document Engineering,
emphasizing analysis and design methods that yield XML-encodable models of
business processes and business documents. A collaboration with the
e-Berkeley Program began soon afterwards because of the natural fit with
e-Berkeley's goal of using the Web to transform the University's
information-intensive operations.

Dr. Robert Glushko, an Adjunct Professor at SIMS and an XML industry
veteran, is the Director of the CDE.  Glushko said, "The complex legacy
computing environment of the University is a perfect test bed for XML,
information architecture, and web services and the E-Berkeley program is a
perfect partner for an academic research team."   Jon Conhaim, who heads
the E-Berkeley program, will serve as Associate Director of the CDE.

An advisory board whose members come from academic units, campus computing
organizations, and industry will help set priorities and define project
goals.  Board member Hal Varian, formerly the Dean of SIMS and a professor
of economics and business, said "the new Center for Document Engineering
will provide a valuable research facility for our faculty and training
ground for our students. The technology that has been developed at CDE will

be a major contribution to information management in organizations."

Board member Shel Waggoner, UC Berkeley's Director of Central Computing
Services, suggested that "the Center for Document Engineering offers a
unique opportunity for research, academic, administrative groups to work
collectively on real world challenges faced by decentralized enterprises.
The models developed by the CDE will dramatically reduce the time and cost
of building new applications and help enterprises minimize the duplication
of systems so prevalent in today's distributed environments."

The CDE will create, collect, and disseminate XML schemas, software, best
practices, and other content for building web services and applications
that allow business semantics to drive IT systems and automate business
processes.

"I'm delighted to see Berkeley take the lead in the emerging discipline of
document engineering, which will be critical to the development of the data

standards on which the next generation of electronic commerce systems will
be constructed," said Jon Bosak of Sun Microsystems, leader of the working
groups that created the XML and the Universal Business Language (UBL). "An
enlightened public policy requires the existence of unbiased centers for
the development and vendor-neutral evaluation of technologies for business
data modeling. The establishment of the Center for Document Engineering
represents a milestone in the development of our future business
infrastructure and a model for the creation of similar programs in other
colleges and universities."

The first initiative of the CDE is the Berkeley Academic Business Language
(BABL), an evolving set of models and associated XML schemas for the domain

of University education and operations.  A second major CDE initiative is
an XML application platform that uses models like those in BABL to
implement enterprise-class applications whose core data-models are encoded
in XML.  This platform allows developers to represent data models, business

rules, workflow specifications, and user interfaces as externalized XML
documents, rather than mixing and scattering them throughout application
code. This will make it easier for nonprogrammers to design, develop, and
maintain forms and workflow-based Internet applications.

The Center for Document Engineering is located at
http://cde.berkeley.edu.  Organizations or individuals interested in
becoming sponsors or research affiliates of the CDE are invited to contact
Dr. Robert Glushko, Glushko@sims.berkeley.edu (510-643-2754) or Jon
Conhaim, conhaim@uclink.berkeley.edu (510-643-2255).

--=====================_959870==_.ALT

CENTER FOR DOCUMENT ENGINEERING ESTABLISHED AT UC BERKELEY<br><br>
Focal point for initiatives in XML and model-based approaches for
automatable, standards- based business computing<br><br>
School of Information Management and Systems (SIMS) and the e-Berkeley
Program have established the Center for Document Engineering (CDE). The
CDE's mission is &quot;to invent, evaluate, and promote model-driven
technologies and methods&quot; that allow business semantics to drive IT
systems. <br><br>
The CDE’s origins date to Spring 2002 when SIMS became the first academic
institution in the world to teach courses on Document Engineering,
emphasizing analysis and design methods that yield XML-encodable models
of business processes and business documents. A collaboration with the
e-Berkeley Program began soon afterwards because of the natural fit with
e-Berkeley's goal of using the Web to transform the University’s
information-intensive operations. <br><br>
Dr. Robert Glushko, an Adjunct Professor at SIMS and an XML industry
veteran, is the Director of the CDE.&nbsp; Glushko said, “The complex
legacy computing environment of the University is a perfect test bed for
XML, information architecture, and web services and the E-Berkeley
program is a perfect partner for an academic research team.”&nbsp;&nbsp;
Jon Conhaim, who heads the E-Berkeley program, will serve as Associate
Director of the CDE.<br><br>
An advisory board whose members come from academic units, campus
computing organizations, and industry will help set priorities and define
project goals.&nbsp; Board member Hal Varian, formerly the Dean of SIMS
and a professor of economics and business, said “the new Center for
Document Engineering will provide a valuable research facility for our
faculty and training ground for our students. The technology that has
been developed at CDE will be a major contribution to information
management in organizations.”<br><br>
Board member Shel Waggoner, UC Berkeley’s Director of Central Computing
Services, suggested that “the Center for Document Engineering offers a
unique opportunity for research, academic, administrative groups to work
collectively on real world challenges faced by decentralized enterprises.
The models developed by the CDE will dramatically reduce the time and
cost of building new applications and help enterprises minimize the
duplication of systems so prevalent in today's distributed
environments.&quot;<br><br>
The CDE will create, collect, and disseminate XML schemas, software, best
practices, and other content for building web services and applications
that allow business semantics to drive IT systems and automate business
processes. <br><br>
&quot;I'm delighted to see Berkeley take the lead in the emerging
discipline of document engineering, which will be critical to the
development of the data standards on which the next generation of
electronic commerce systems will be constructed,&quot; said Jon Bosak of
Sun Microsystems, leader of the working groups that created the XML and
the Universal Business Language (UBL). &quot;An enlightened public policy
requires the existence of unbiased centers for the development and
vendor-neutral evaluation of technologies for business data modeling. The
establishment of the Center for Document Engineering represents a
milestone in the development of our future business infrastructure and a
model for the creation of similar programs in other colleges and
universities.”<br><br>
The first initiative of the CDE is the Berkeley Academic Business
Language (BABL), an evolving set of models and associated XML schemas for
the domain of University education and operations.&nbsp; A second major
CDE initiative is an XML application platform that uses models like those
in BABL to implement enterprise-class applications whose core data-models
are encoded in XML.&nbsp; This platform allows developers to represent
data models, business rules, workflow specifications, and user interfaces
as externalized XML documents, rather than mixing and scattering them
throughout application code. This will make it easier for nonprogrammers
to design, develop, and maintain forms and workflow-based Internet
applications. <br><br>
The Center for Document Engineering is located at
eudora="autourl">http://cde.berkeley.edu</a>.&nbsp;
conhaim@uclink.berkeley.edu (510-643-2255). <br><br>
<