Subject: Draft Minutes 23rd July 2014

Meeting Minutes 23rd July 2014

Attendees:

Oracle			Martin Chapman	Chair
Fujitsu Limited		Jacques Durand	Member
Cloudsoft Corporation Limited	Alex Heneveld	Voting Member
Oracle			Anish Karmarkar	Voting Member
Oracle			Ashok Malhotra	Voting Member
Vnomic			Derek Palma	Member
Oracle			Gilbert Pilz	Member
Fujitsu Limited		Tom Rutt		Voting Member

Meeting Statistics
Quorum rule	51% of voting members
Achieved quorum	yes
Individual Attendance	Contributing Members: 8 of 32 (25%)
Voting Members: (used for quorum calculation)
Company Attendance	Contributing Companies: 4 of 15 (26%)
Voting Companies: 3 of 4 (75%)

Intro:

      Scribe:     Gil
      Roll: Attendees listed above, 5 of 6 (83%) meeting is quorate
      Agenda:
            Martin: any comments on the agenda?
             RESOLVED: Agenda Approved
            Note the LOA item under admin is a cut and paste error from last week

TOPIC: Minutes of July 9th, 2014

      https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/email/archives/201407/msg00020.html

      MOTION: Anish move to approve minutes 9th July 2014; Ashok seconds
      RESOLVED: Minutes of July 9th, 2014 approved

TOPIC: Admin

      TOPIC: Implementation Status

            Martin: where do we sit with regards to implementations?
            ... our charter requires us to have 2 interoperable implementations
            ...  we know about nCAMP, Solum, and Brooklyn
            ...  there is a conference coming up in September
            Anish: OpenStack Summit?
            ... we could try and target some demos etc. for then
            Anish: there have been some major events happening on the Brooklyn side so it would be nice to have an update
            AlexH: Brooklyn is open source, Apache Foundation, now an Incubation Project
            ... the CAMP Server has been contributed
            ... you can start up the CAMP Server
            ... but the REST API hasn't been updated with "the great refactoring"
            ... it should be a couple of weeks work to update the API
            ... another weeks work to update the YAML files with requirements and services
            ... we are overworked and don't have the resources to do any of this

            Martin: what is the status of Solum
            Gil: (Solum updates)
            Tom: is Solum RESTful
            Gil: yes, and parts of it look a lot like CAMP
            Anish: a lot of issues here
               ...  (1) meeting our exit criteria and getting to CS
               ... (2) demonstrating interop
            ... ApacheCon and OpenStack Summit would be good venues for (2)
          Tom: do we have a strict rule, like in W3C, in which features that aren't implemented are dropped?
          Martin: no Tom
           Martin: (shows charter)
            ... we could change this charter if we think it is too strict
          ... now that we know there are at least 3 implementations (at various changes) we could re-examine this
            Tom: I had concerns in the beginning about the strictness of this
            Martin: we would be clarifying the charter, not widening the scope
            ...  no additional IPR in play
            ... we could change "MUST" to "SHOULD"
            ... we might meet this criteria even if we don't change the charter
            Gil: if I were on the outside, such a change would look like an admission that no one is implementing CAMP
            Tom: does it matter to people if CAMP becomes a standard?
            AlexH: Brooklyn would like to see CAMP become a standard
            Tom: enough to warrant devoting resources?
           AlexH: not at this time
            Martin: lets' not get confused
            ... this is not about becoming a standard, it is about getting to Committee Spec
            ...  we don't have to make a decision today
            Anish: there are lot's of standards that are in play at any given time
            ... people who aren't standards wonks aren't aware of these
            ... getting to Oasis Standard would help awareness of CAMP
            ... I was talking to some devs - their concerns were "is this stable, is it released?"
            ... unless we have that stable release, its hard to get people to look at it or implement it
          Martin: we could revise the charter to gate OASIS Standard on impls, not Committee Spec

TOPIC: Editing Team Update

        WD44: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/email/archives/201407/msg00023.html
      Gil: WD 44 contains the resolution to CAMP-172

       Jacques: want to give an update on the latest TA working draft
       ... updated to match the state of the main spec
       ... new issue I filed is mostly about cleaning up a PR

TOPIC: New Issues

      https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/CAMP-173   "service resource" is not required to advertise its characteristics
      Gil: (describes issue)
      http://ec2-107-20-16-71.compute-1.amazonaws.com/campSrv/Service/97
      Ashok: you are worrying about flexible patching
      ... you describe a database, and you could get several of the that match your criteria
      ... I thought we had decided not to go there
      ... this makes me nervous
      Gil: CAMP doesn't and shouldn't say how the matching between Plan requirements and Services happens
      ... nor what happens when the platform impl can't find a service or finds too many services
      ... but provides a way to optionally advertise the service characteristics in a way that matches what is defined in for Plan
      Tom: I like this
      Martin: I have concerns about this
      Ashok Malhotra (Oracle): Optional info that may aid in matching
      (back and forth on the substance of the issue)

      Tom: do services exist before plans?
      Gil: yes, services represent the providers ability to create (or share) a service to run your app
      MOTION: Tom moves to open CAMP-173, Ashok seconds
      RESOLUTION: CAMP-173 opened
      Gil: I have it an initial status of P2
      Tom: it is an important P2

 https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/CAMP-174  requirement for URL-encoding of parameter values is misplaced and/or confusing
      Gil: (describes issue)
      Anish: why are we saying anything, doesn't the HTTP URL spec already cover this?
      Martin: think we specified this to make sure the Consumer did the right thing
      Anish: haven't looked at the issue in Jira, but we seem to be talking about what characters can appear in a valid URL
      ... the HTTP URL spec already does this
      Martin: we either delete PR-11 or make it explicit that it is talking about select_attr
      Jacques: if what we intend is that the values of all request parameters follow the HTTP URL spec, then we don't need to say anything
      ... but we would still need to clean up the example
      MOTION: Tom moves to open CAMP-174, Anish seconds
      RESOLUTION: CAMP-174 opened

TOPIC: CAMP-174 requirement for URL-encoding of parameter values is misplaced and/or confusing

      Martin: proposes to delete PR-11 and fix the example in Table 6-1 by      s/name,description,tags/name%2Cdescription%2Ctags/ in table 6-1
      MOTION: Tom moves to resolve CAMP-174 with the above proposal , AlexH seconds
      RESOLUTION: CAMP-174 resolved with the above proposal

AOB:

      TOPIC: Future Meetings
          All: agree
         Martin: propose to cancel next week