Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] DOM question

Hi Lofton,

Please see comments inline...

Cheers!

Monday, July 5, 2004, 8:02:35 PM, Lofton wrote:

LH> At 08:13 PM 7/5/2004 +0200, Dieter Weidenbrueck wrote:
>>[...]

We're not removing it completely, only for the metadata nodes, i.e., it
will only work for WebCGM specific nodes (picture, APS etc... where we
know what is of type XML:ID.

LH> Looking at Benoit's latest DOM draft, on Interface Picture there is
LH> getAppStructureById(), which I guess serves the purpose for standard WebCGM
LH> content.
That's our equivalent to getElementById().

LH> Can someone remind me, why we decided to remove
LH> getElementById()?  (Potentially applicable to XML companion file
LH> metadata.)  I don't mean to re-open the argument or advocate for it -- just
LH> trying to remember.
Not a problem.  We don't know what is of type XML:ID unless we parse
a DTD or schema; and unfortunately that's a problem.  We don't want to
be 'forced' to parse a DTD.  We know what is of type XML:ID for WebCGM
elements, so by renaming getElementByID to getAppStructureByID, we
solve the problem (i.e., you won't be able to access XML metadata via
an id).

Regards,
Benoit.