Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] APS 'name' attribute in XCF?

Thanks Benoit (and Dieter).  I think the issue for at least some of our
users is that they want access to all of the metadata in a given WebCGM
instance without having to parse the CGM file itself.  Having the metadata
in an XML file is very convenient, because XML parsers are readily
available.

The bindByName element will serve that purpose, albeit somewhat indirectly
since it cannot be a child element of the grobject, para, or subpara
elements.  But it does allow me to put all of the names used in a given
WebCGM instance into the XCF.  It looks like our users will have to write
some JavaScript to associate name attributes to a specific APS.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Bezaire [mailto:benoit@itedo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 10:57 AM
To: CGM Open WebCGM TC

Hi Robert,

No it is not an oversight. The group sees the 'name' attribute very
similar to the 'id' attribute... It is not possible to set both those
attributes via the XML companion file. Both these attributes have to
be assigned a value within authoring tools. The DOM and XCF
functionality around the 'name' attribute is aimed at queries. From a
DOM and XCF perspective, the 'id' and 'name' attributes are read-only.

Cheers,