Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] APS 'name' attribute in XCF?

Hi Robert,

When an application needs to export metadata (elements or attributes)
that are not part of the WebCGM DTD, they should be inserted using XML
namespaces:

<webcgm xmlns="http://www.cgmopen.org/"; xmlns:extra="something">
  <grobject apsid="myId" extra:name="myName"/>
</webcgm>

More inline...

Monday, June 6, 2005, 1:35:28 PM, Robert wrote:

RO> Thanks Benoit (and Dieter).  I think the issue for at least some
RO> of our users is that they want access to all of the metadata in a
RO> given WebCGM instance without having to parse the CGM file itself.
Would they be trying to access all the metadata within a viewer or
some other XML process.

RO> Having the metadata in an XML file is very convenient,
I guess that means "XML process", i.e. companion file.

RO> because XML parsers are readily available.
Yes. And parsers will be able to extract information in various
namespaces.

RO> The bindByName element will serve that purpose, albeit somewhat
RO> indirectly since it cannot be a child element of the grobject,
RO> para, or subpara elements.
<bindByName> is mostly meant to apply new attribute values to various
APS sharing the same name. (I have a feeling that you are more
concerned about exporting companion files than reading them back into
the application.)

RO> But it does allow me to put all of the names used in a given
RO> WebCGM instance into the XCF.  It looks like our users will have
RO> to write some JavaScript to associate name attributes to a
RO> specific APS.
I'm not sure that's still required if you use XML namespaces.