Subject: RE: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] APS 'name' attribute in XCF?

I think it is worth mentioning (after hours and hours of discussions
regarding this topic), that the XCF is not exported to represent an
XML encoding of some sort of the CGM file, but rather a file that
holds information that does NOT reside inside the CGM, and that
needs to be changed at runtime.
I still believe there are use cases for the other (descriptive) case,
however, the spec has not been written for this as is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Orosz [mailto:roboro@AUTO-TROL.com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 9:22 PM
To: 'Benoit Bezaire'; CGM Open WebCGM TC

See inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Bezaire [mailto:benoit@itedo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 12:04 PM
To: CGM Open WebCGM TC
Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] APS 'name' attribute in XCF?

<snip>

>RO> Thanks Benoit (and Dieter).  I think the issue for at least some
>RO> of our users is that they want access to all of the metadata in a
>RO> given WebCGM instance without having to parse the CGM file itself.
>Would they be trying to access all the metadata within a viewer or
>some other XML process.

Some other process usually.  However, once WebCGM 2.0 viewers are available,
having this available within the viewer might suffice.  It is very difficult
(for me at least), to predict how users are actually going to use this
stuff.

>RO> Having the metadata in an XML file is very convenient,
>I guess that means "XML process", i.e. companion file.

Yes.

<snip>

><bindByName> is mostly meant to apply new attribute values to various
>APS sharing the same name. (I have a feeling that you are more

Yes, I got that impression from reading the 2.0 spec.

>concerned about exporting companion files than reading them back into
>the application.)

Right now, my main concern is exporting companion files.  But, I will
eventually have to read them back just like everyone else.

Regards,

Rob

RO> But it does allow me to put all of the names used in a given
RO> WebCGM instance into the XCF.  It looks like our users will have
RO> to write some JavaScript to associate name attributes to a
RO> specific APS.
I'm not sure that's still required if you use XML namespaces.