Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: does the 'highlight' object behavior revert to full-picture view?

At 11:22 AM 6/14/2005 +0200, =?us-ascii?Q?Dieter__Weidenbruck?= wrote:
[...]
you are right, and we should change the default.

Actually, my preferred solution would be to clarify the _replace behavior:  for a C2C link, that goes from one object in a picture to another object in the same picture, if the picBehavior is _replace (either by default or explicit setting), then the viewer SHALL NOT reload the picture, but rather shall preserve the existing view state and apply any new objBehaviors.

More below...

The viewer shall replace the current picture by the designated picture in the same rectangular area in the same frame or window as the picture which refers to this target. This is the default behavior for CGM-to-CGM links.
The last sentence here should be deleted probably. Somehow we need to change the behavior compared to WebCGM 1.0 to accomplish several things:

1. LinkURIs
CGM to CGM linkURIs like
#name(myObj,move)                simple navigation to another object
#xcf(myXCF.xml)                    load and apply this companion file

2. DOM calls
(assume a cgm is loaded and displayed)
cgmDoc.src = ""#name(myObj,move)"
cgmDoc.src = ""#xcf(myXCF.xml)"

This is especially important to be able to load XML companion files in a sequence, e.g.
- myScreentips.xml
- myLinks.xml
- myConfiguration.xml

Suggestion:
If a picture behavior is explicitely stated, it must be used
If no picture behavior is stated, and the nature of the link doesn't require a reload of the file, don't use a picture behavior.

It is absolutely mandatory to resolve this for 2.0, because it would kill
both the (strongly required) new object behaviors, and the cascading companion files.

I have no problem that we fix it.  It seems to be what at least some people had in mind, in designing and approving the objBehavior controls.

I'd like to hear from more implementors:  do you support that interpretation of C2C links?

Finally, let's take a little care that we get it right and define it completely.  Above I stated a set of conditions that it should apply to:  "for a C2C link, that goes from one object in a picture to another object in the same picture, if the picBehavior is _replace..."

1.) it would NOT apply to HTML-to-CGM links, right?
2.) it would NOT apply to C2C links, where the link went from one CGM file to another different CGM file, right?  (Several sub-cases depending on picBehavior -- but recommend to treat them all the same.)
3.) it would not apply to links that have behaviors other than _replace (i.e., _blank, target, etc) picBehavior, right?
4.) for picBehavior _self, and things like _parent that turns out to be the same as _self if there is no parent, would it apply?  (I recommend we restrict it to _replace -- whether defaulted or explicitly set -- which makes it clean, clear, and simple where the cumulative behavior should apply.)

Example of #1:
-----
Imagine a HTML parts list, with text items 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

If the user clicks item 1, and then goes away and does other stuff, and then clicks #4 -- there should be no consideration of preserving views (for any of the several possible HTML 4.01 TARGET behavior keywords, which btw don't include _replace).