Subject: namespace rules were broken

As I was editing, I discovered that the XCF namespace stuff was broken.  Details:

The dtd said this:  xmlns CDATA #IMPLIED
Nothing else in the text required that the WebCGM namespace be defined in XCF instances.  I believe that this violates the "XML Namespace" standard.  (But I'm on slightly shaky ground with this NS stuff.)

Two possible solutions:

Opt.1
=====
change dtd to:  xmlns CDATA #REQUIRED
This would mean that the XCF/WebCGM namespace would always have to be defined on the 'webcgm' element, either as the default namespace (no prefix) or prefixed.  As now, application-specific namespace always must be defined as well.

Opt.2
=====
change dtd to:  xmlns CDATA #FIXED http://www.cgmopen.org/schema/webcgm/
This would allow you to omit the xmlns attribute from the 'webcgm' element for the WebCGM XCF namespace.  As now, application-specific namespace always must be defined.

Further discussion
=====
Opt.2 has the side effect, *I think*, that you could never define another namespace, other than XCF WebCGM, to be the default (no prefix) namespace.  Is that correct?  I.e., this would be valid under Opt.1 but not Opt.2:
<xcf:webcgm xmlns:xcf= "http://www.cgmopen.org/schema/webcgm/"
            xmlns= "http://example.org/asd/" ...>
[...companion file contents...]
</xcf:webcgm>

It looks to me like SVG11 does something approximately like Opt.2.

Recommendation
=====
I have none now.  The way I left it is approximately Opt.1, because it was easiest.  In the existing examples, I did add a xmlns declaration, because that is never wrong.  (The question is about *necessity*.)

Thoughts?  (Or corrections to my analysis?)