Subject: WebCGM and cascading profiles (ASD, ATA, ...)

Hi all,

	I know you may think I am sleeping during our discussion but it is not the case. I am listening to you all trying to follow-up the works wuth my user perspective.

	Last wednesday, I heard someting on which I want to react and would like to have people views.
	Just before Dieter left us, we were discussing what to do with a non-WebCGM file (like a cascaded one from the ATA). I heard things like "if it is ATA instead of WebCGM, I will ignore it because it could be unsafe trying to handle something for which the viewer has not been developped".

	Taking the time to think about it:
		- there is not interst for ATA and ASD to cascade profiles because:
			- files will not be handled by viewers
			- Users like Boeing, MoD UK and Airbus, if publishing Industry-compliant profiles compliant CGM files, will have to translate them to use them with common available viewers (based on WebCGM).
		- the logical conclusion is then forget cascading profiles and eveybody has to adopt WebCGM as defined by OASIS TC.

	What a very dark future! I do not really think this is the one we have been working on together for years now. So let's say tht we want to keep going with cascading profiles. Below is my view on this subject:

A) Context
	1) I understand the point of view of implementors: too many implementations are not reasonnable in terms of costs/profits ratio.
	2) It is dangerous to have a viewer handling a file for which it has not been designed.
	3) Today, availablle viewers are displaying CGM files whatever the profile is, based on their capacity to display CGM prrimitives (without considering the profiles).

B) Requirements
	1) Viewers have to know if their DOM is compliant with the one for which the file has been defined
	2) Users have to have the capability to tune CGM primitives usage (Style guides, forbidden primitives)

C) Assumption:
	1) There is no need to extend the DOM for an industry group:
		1.a) the DOM as designed is fully enabled in terms of CGM and allows access to industry specific data that are stored in the XCF file in the exetensible parts.
		1.b) any requirement to enrich the DOM is of common interest for CGM users and is therefore to be developped with the reference standard (WebCGM).

D) Way of Working for cascading profile
	1) Each profile is to identify from which WebCGM it is derived, allowing therefore to idnetify what is the DOM version.
	2) No DOM/XCF (for the WebCGM) parts to be allowed to cascaded profiles.
	3) Viewers to check first if the file is derived from somthing they understand in terms of DOM.

E) Conclusion
	1) This way allows users to have their requirements fully covered
	2) Implementation are secured
	3) This is just a simple email and is not therefore the magic solution that can be found in less than 5 minutes (or ten when I ma writing english). However, I think this the basic idea to be discussed and investigated. The other one that i foresee is "dark future".
	4) I hope I will get comments and reactions.

Best Regards,

Franck DULUC
Technical Data Research Manager
Customer Services - SDND
AIRBUS France

Phone: +33 (0)5 61 18 19 16
Fax: +33 (0)5 61 93 59 44
mailto:franck.duluc@airbus.com

Address:
BP D0611, 316, route de Bayonne
31060 TOULOUSE Cedex, FRANCE

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.