Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] layername

At 10:10 AM 9/6/2005 +0200, Dieter  Weidenbrück wrote:
>Hi Franck,
>
>yes, I know. On the other hand, we have so many things now that are not
>backwards compatible, one more wouldn't really matter.

I disagree (strongly).

In (most) cases where we have created non-backward compatibility, we were
driven by some particular functional gain, and usually did it
reluctantly.  Changing layername to name gains us nothing.  (And would
force us to do a bunch of editing, to change 1.0 test cases, and to change
implementations.)

About Ben's original question:  layername is listed as readonly in the
ApsAttr table of 5.7.6.  In this sense, it is like 'name', and that is why
it isn't allowed in the XCF.

If you look at 3.2.1.2 and 3.2.2.4, you will see that layername differs
from name in substantive technical details (e.g., layername is required,
name is optional).  So there are technical reasons not to combine them.

Btw...  it would be interesting if someone would compile a list of 2.0
changes that are non-backward-compatible with 1.0.  Volunteer?