Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] More thoughts on exceptions

I don't have really strong feelings about the exceptions.  As a rule, I
like fairly strict error handling, but in this case I'm satisfied to with a
reasonable tradeoff between implementation effort and error detection/throwing.

I do have a couple questions and comments.

Question.  What I think you are saying for Style Properties (and similar
stuff) is this:
a.) exception for non-existent property (set or get).
b.) but no exception for trying to set out-of-range values.
Correct?  (That seems reasonable to me.)

One other comment in-line.  Otherwise, I would support a consensus proposal
between Stuart and Benoit, since they seem to have converged. Will someone
write such a proposal as editing directives and give it to me?  (After
approval by TC.)

Thanks,
-Lofton.

At 09:09 AM 9/6/2005 -0400, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
>This is a forwarded message
>From: Galt, Stuart A <stuart.a.galt@boeing.com>
>To: "Benoit Bezaire" <benoit@itedo.com>
>Date: Friday, September 2, 2005, 9:43:59 AM
>Subject: [cgmo-webcgm] More thoughts on exceptions
>
>===8<==============Original message text===============
>Benoit,
>
>I just got my computer exchanged at work and am trying to put the pieces
>together to make my computer functional again...
>
>My goal was to mostly raise questions, and look for inconsistancies.  I
>agree that putting in an exception might not be worth the cost of
>implementation.
>I agree that making a note in the spec about what happens with bad input
>is the better solution.
>
>Stuart Galt.
>
>--
>Stuart Galt
>SGML Resource Group
>stuart.a.galt@boeing.com
>(206) 544-9925

Since we are referring to the namespaceURI parameter...  In that case, I
think we're talking about 3.1.1.3+3.1.1.4 restrictions, right?  I.e., it
has to be a valid URI for WebCGM (incl. any fragment bits, following
3.1.1.3 rules), and has to use the ASCII+ repertoire (rfc3986?), with the
URI escaping mechanism (3.1.1.4) for non-ASCII+ characters.