Subject: Re[2]: [cgmo-webcgm] 5.7.10 Interface WebCGMEvent Example

At 11:16 AM 11/29/2005 -0500, Benoit Bezaire wrote:
><snip>
>
> >>   If other vendors are able to interpret such ecmascript, maybe they
> >>   can say so.
>
> > Curious that you ask the question.  One reason I didn't catch the error is
> > that your beta (b4 and b5) code executes both examples successfully, on my
> > WinXP with IE6.  (Have you subsequently changed the code so that the
> > invalid case fails?).  I *did* execute each example before submitting the
> > text for CS ballot.
>Are you sure you haven't changed var cgmDoc; to var cgmDoc = new
>WebCGMMetafile(); between trying the test and publishing?

Well ... now I'm confused.  Both the listing in the CS text, and the code
in the .html file (as shown by "View Source" after executing the html) say:

<script type="text/ecmascript">
     var cgmDoc = new WebCGMMetafile();
     function handleClick(evt) {

Neither of them say "var cgmDoc;".  Your original question (previous
message) was:

>  Is var cgmDoc = new WebCGMMetafile(); valid?

(And my answer was, "not valid, because the constructor function is not
defined."  Now ... I don't know what JS or ECMAScript say about that case,
if the constructor definition is missing.  Does it substitute "new
Object()"?  Fail in unpredictable ways?  Other?)

>I just don't see how our implementation could create such an object.
>I'll have to get back to you on this.

Does JS/ES language spec itself say anything about fallback or error
mechanism for undefined constructor?

-Lofton.