Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Re: The highlight() method

Hello,

I think that the ability to apply a highlight to a single item is an
important
feature to have.  My first thought was to overload the argument list,
but
that is not allowed by ecmascript (or javascript).  So my thoughts
turned
to something along the lines of option 4.  Can I either create a list
on the fly or can I dereference an existing list?

creation on the fly would require something like:
var aps = pic.getAppStructureById("apsToHighlight");
pic.highlight(aps.makeNodeList(), true);

and dereferencing the list would look something like:
var list = pic.getAppStructuresByName("listToHighlight");
pic.highlight( list.items(), true );

I think that the dereference option would work because you can
have a variable number of arguments in a function.  Either one
of these would require changes to support.  I think that the
first has the advantage that all the existing scripts would
continue to work...

I am not sure that I understand the problem of the live node
view of the DOM.

A kludge workaround would be to be get the object by id and then
get a list of objects that share the same name.  You then iterate
through the list removing items that do not have the id that you
want... (Ugly but can be done)

I cannot speak to which version of the spec highlighting should
be fixed.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group