Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Groups - WebCGM TC telecon minutes 20070620 (20070620_WebCGM_TC_Telecon_minutes.doc) uploaded

Hi Benoit,

Good analysis.  One comment, seeking clarification (perhaps I caused some
confusion)...

At 04:27 PM 6/21/2007 -0400, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I missed the last part of the telecon (animation topic)...
>
>In my opinion, the use case presented to us, would be best solved using
>declarative animation.

In telecon used "declarative animation" as being defined by declarative
language within the graphics file, SVG-like.  Implicitly, I distinguished
it from DOM animation, where a script could drive the manipulations of
properties through the DOM.  (And distinguished both from GIF-like
"visibility animation".)

The two could give very similar results, in some cases.  Right now a DOM
script could manipulate any of the Style Properties [1] and achieve a
SVG-like result.  So you could cause the text size of some (object) string
to swell and shrink.  Or the color to mutate.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-webcgm20-20070130/WebCGM20-DOM.html#styleprop-table

If there were a new "transform" style property (or APS attribute), you
could do even more.  Etc...etc... E.g., if you could treat the Fill
Reference Point as a style property, then you could achieve the illusion of
flow in a pipe.  (Where the pipe contents is indicated by a pattern like
"/  /  /..."

So in theory, DOM animation could give results similar to SVG-like
declarative animation, and in any case, very much better than GIF-like
animation.

There are issues with DOM approach, not the least of which are:

-- authoring: a content author who wants animation must produce a DOM
script along with the original static picture;

-- performance: if the implementation knows that it is dealing with
in-graphic declarative animation, it can optimize to ensure adequate
performance.  With DOM animation, would adequate performance be
problematic? (I don't know ... I'm asking the question.)

The biggest advantage of DOM animation is obvious -- we don't have to
invent and impose an intra-WebCGM animation language.

A couple more comments...

>Things like fluid levels and water flow can't
>really be addressed with an animated gif or visibility animation. It
>just wouldn't look very good. Or if it did look decent; it would require
>a lot of work from a user perspective (probably too much to be
>acceptable).

Right ... animated GIF is extremely limited, DOM animation is less so but
still somewhat, and both are shifting burden to the authoring side, from
the viewing side.

>There are four main classes of animation:
>i) transforms: rotate, scale, translate, skew.
>ii) colors: fill, stroke etc...
>iii) motion along a path (somewhat similar to a translation).
>iv) point animation, ex: adjusting the 'length' of a rectangle, two of
>the four corners (i.e., points) move over time.
>
>This a lot of work and would require a very serious commitment from all
>implementers.

Indeed.  I'm unsure how implementers feel about implementing a chunk of
SVG-like declarative animation language.

On the other hand, what are the tech-pubs requirements, and how much of
them (if any) could be met in a short-term approach with a couple new
properties and DOM animation?  (You implementors probably have some sense
of this.)