Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] ISSUE: In what components is 'transform' defined?

Dieter,

> DW: So you are talking about a CGM containing regular
> grobjects only that should be considered as segments at runtime?

We do not allow access at the element level today, everything needs to
be rolled up to the APS container.  A hard line approach would be only
APS structures that contain a BEGIN SEGMENT or COPY SEGMENT construct
within the bounds of the APS could be considered segments at runtime but
this has
a couple problems... a) It doesn't handle the case where there is
geometry
other than the segment contained within the APS.  b)It wont allow a
version
1.0 or 2.0 file to be used.

a) can be handled by making a rule that all of the geometry is affected
by
the transform (similar to how the rest of the APS level changes work)
and b)
can be handled by making it possible to create a transform via something

other than requiring a segment to exist in the CGM file.

The reason that I brought up segments was that it is a mechanism that
exists in CGM but on WebCGM and it defines how to create static
transforms.
I realize that it might be not very well supported by the viewers or
the editors.  Does anyone support segments or is it one of those dark
corners of CGM that nobody has implemented?

Even if we don't use segments, I think that the transforms we have been
discussing and the CGM segment are similar constructs.  To finally
answer your question... I guess I would treat all APS as just "normal"
structures until I was forced to treat it as a transformed (or segment)
structure.  I see four potential ways of doing this:
1) DOM call to transform an APS
2) XCF binding a transform to an APS
3) CGM metafile contains a attribute (or style property) that associates
   a transform to an APS
4) The APS contains only a segment (or transform + copy segment)

Once one of the above conditions has been met the APS needs to be
treated as a transformed APS or segment or whatever we end up calling
it.
The first three have been part of the proposal for quite some time.
Allowing segments is what makes the fourth option possible.

> DW: sure, this is straightforward. Since the style
> properties/transform attributes are applied using DOM or XCF
> they will work as well as setting a different lineweight or
> adding a namespaced attribute to a WebCGM 1.0 file.

Yes, I agree.

Stuart.
--
Stuart Galt