Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] Updated DTD and sample instance

Dave,

re 1)
valid use case for a non-compliant viewing of a CGM. The standard is all about what a compliant CGM is, and how to render it. The font mapping deviates from this. Again, for me this is a viewer feature, similar to colors and hundreds of other details that you can set in the IE options (including char sets, font size for display, etc etc).

re 2)
If you provide a font mapping to your end users, how is that different from specifying a font inside the CGM itself?
if the CGM asks for Helvetica, and Helvetica is not on the user's computer, he's stuck.
if you substitute Helvetica with Arial, and Arial is not on the user's computer, he's stuck as well.
The second case is an interesting one, because the file might be displayed on a Mac where Helvetica is present, however, because of the prescribed font mapping Arial would have to be used, which does not exist on a lot of Macs.
Font mapping makes an assumption about installed fonts as much as any CGM font table does. The CGM is independent from a single computer, whereas a font mapping file should be adjusted to a particular computer. It makes no sense to map to fonts where the best you can say about the target computer is "this display font should really be there".

Regards,
Dieter

-----Original Message-----
From: Cruikshank, David W [mailto:david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com]
Sent: Montag, 24. März 2008 22:33
To: Weidenbrueck, Dieter; Galt, Stuart A; Bezaire, Benoit; CGM Open WebCGM TC

Dieter,

Ok, lets consider 2 use cases not related to legacy data

1)  I have a compound document with 5000+ WebCGM files and associated XCFs (and ACIs).  All of the CGM files call out Helvetica as the font.  Because of display characteristics I want to ensure that Arial is used during presentation, I specify that mapping in the ACI file.  I'm not making any assumption about the CGM viewer here because I know they are all interoperable.  Am I to assume all WebCGM CGM viewer will automatically map Helvetica to Arial?

2)  I have a dream that in the future I will be able to just distribute my compound document (from above) and not have to maintain the client configuration on the receiver's platform.  Again, it is an interoperability issue because I don't want to have to tell my users what they have to have on their computers.  I just want the font mapping to work with any WebCGM viewer.  If the user wants to remap the fonts, he is free to do so without wondering where the font mapping file is for a particular product.

Just my thoughts.

dave

Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange Boeing Commercial Airplane 206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734 david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com