Subject: Rqts: font substitution; and V3-defaults

All --

My review assignment is Chapter 9.  It is hard to do it because we seem to be wandering around and revisiting the requirements.

1.) On 12/12/07 we voted to approve the requirements.  Font substitution is included.  V3-defaults is included.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200712/msg00038.html
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26392/WebCGM%202_1%20Requirements.htm

2.) That requirements document references a prior meeting minutes at which the vendors committed to the requirements items:

[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25856/20071024_WebCGM_TC_Telecon_minutes.pdf

3.) In minutes after 12/12/07, we discussed details some more:

[4a] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/download.php/26757/20080109_WebCGM_TC_Telecon_minutes.pdf
[4b] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/cgmo-webcgm/download.php/26854/20080116_WebCGM_TC_Telecon_minutes.pdf
[4c] ...etc...

4.) In one email ISSUE thread, I raised issues about packaging.  Dieter and I, at least, seemed to agree on this:  an external file, that can be invoked once per viewer, but it would be okay to have it also (possibly via external reference) in a prelude section of the XCF.  We did not discuss/agree details about how the once-per-viewer file would otherwise be associated with the viewer's invocation.

[5a] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200801/msg00021.html
[5b] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cgmo-webcgm/200801/msg00025.html

5.) While acknowledging that there are those who want to abandon one (Font sub) or the other (V3-defaults) or both, I claim that the TC majority still supports both.  Waffling on the basic requirement is a *big* problem, IMO -- it is how standards fall badly off their development schedules.  We need to move on after agreeing on requirements.

6.) There are details in the 2.1 draft that *do* need attention -- for example, how the capabilities are encoded and invoked.  This is a lesser problem that we can resolve once we focus on it and stop waffling on the basic requirements.

So that I can continue my review assignment, I want to propose therefore that we immediately (next telecon) put this to rest.  If someone moves to reverse the previous basic requirements decisions, then we poll the members.  If a majority wants the requirement removed, then obviously we will do so.

Else let's get on with the details.